Author Topic: Mixing Solar Panels  (Read 3995 times)

wayne

Mixing Solar Panels
« on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »
Hello

I have ant old M55 panel thinks its monocrystal, and just bought 6- 15watt thin film. Can I mix these together or have problems. My system is 12 volts. I should have 145 watts but did a test and only getting 6 amps right now. Is this right. Maybe need another controller! or thin film not really working to well?

Thanks

Wayne

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:41:13 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Mixing Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
Most 15W PVs are rated at 1A peak. The M55 is rated 3A peak.  6A sounds OK, if it wasn't noon on a cloudless day.

Mixing them is fine.

G-
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:00:44 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

veewee77

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
You can mix them fine, just make sure that each "chunk" you put together is nominal 12V.

Examle, if the single M55 is 12V but each of the others is 6V, put two of the others in series for 12V and then connect them in parallel with the M5.

If they are all rated for 12V, then connect them all in parallel.

Doug

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:10:21 PM by veewee77 »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 01:44:08 PM »
Every panel in a series string should be at least approximately the same current rating.

Paralleling divergent panels (or series strings of panels) of even roughly the same voltage is just dandy.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:44:08 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »
Your Siemens M55 should be a mono-crystaline panel, rated for 53 watts and 3.35 amps the SM-55 panels were rated for 55 watts and 3.45 Amps.  When you start paralleling larger numbers of panels, you should think about fusing the panels individually in case a wiring problem should develop.  If you add fuses, 5 amps for the M55 panel, and 2 or 2.5 for the thin film panels should be about the right ratings.  Ideally they will never blow unless there is a problem.  

You most likely don't need them, but I have also added diodes to each string on mine as I feel that the extra protection is worth the voltage drop especially since my panels connect directly to my 48V battery bank.  The penalty of about a half a volt lost in the diode is substantial for a 12 volt system however at about 3.5 to 5% of power produced if connected directly to a battery (.5/13.5*100)  fortunately, this won't really show up as a loss when connected directly to the battery except when the voltage is too low.  This is because the amps increase relatively little from peak power to short circuit current.  The power would have been lost anyway when the panels output voltage was forced to that of the battery.  The losses show up when the panel voltage is between the battery voltage and a half volt or so above it as the panels won't have the voltage to charge at all through the diode.  For your Siemens panel, it will pass through those voltage ranges relatively quickly at dusk and dawn.  If you had the Siemens 33 cell panels that would be more of a problem than with your 36 cell M55 panel especially in hot weather when the panel voltages are lower.  If using an MPPT type of controller operating at 16V then the losses would be about 3% most of the time.  (.5/16*100).  Again, though, I wouldn't add diodes in series for your small array of panels unless there was some other need for one such as if you were connecting them directly to the battery instead of through a charge controller, which most probably already would have a diode to prevent battery power from leaking into the panels at night.  If I were to add diodes, I would add one to each panel before they are tied together as this not only prevents battery power from flowing into the panels, but prevents one panel from feeding power into another in the event of an unusual failure.  It also would allow the use of a diode rated for the peak panel current instead of one rated for the total amperage of the array.  Rich

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 04:38:36 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!