Author Topic: Solar panels  (Read 1042 times)

tjspears

Solar panels
« on: May 29, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I picked up three hot water solar panels this weekend, from my local Yahoo free cycle group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycleportland/?yguid=80033925 for the cost of getting them off the roof. It took about 2 hours. The panels are in fair to good condition. One panel will have to be dismantled and reassembled the glass has slid down about one inch. The heat exchanger tank had rusted out and been removed several years ago.

Here they are before unloading the trailer

I plan to set them up and use them as a pre-heater before the main hot water heater. This should cut down on the summer propane bill, and hopefully help some in the spring and fall.

The plates on the side of the panels are unreadable; they have probably been up since the late 70's or early 80's. Only information readable on the plates is a stamped number that ranges from 1065 to 1100. I am guessing that it is some kind of test rating for the panel. Does anyone know?

Now back to scrounging to get the reset of the parts I need. :-)

--James.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:29:00 PM by (unknown) »

chadking

Re: Solar panels
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »
I don't know about your stamped number, but if you can make them work, it seems like you've found yourself a nice score!  Congratulations...

Keep us informed of progress with the project.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:34:51 PM by chadking »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
I would wonder if they are designed to take the full pressure of the water coming from the utility company ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:29:14 AM by wooferhound »

tjspears

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
It freezes here in the winter, so I will do a closed loop system to a heat exchanger. The well pressure only goes to 60psi anyway.

--James.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:47:09 AM by tjspears »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
Hi,

Sounds like quite a nice deal.

You might want to run the panels through some of the checks they go over here:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm#Maintenance

One of the articles lists some of the better brands in used collectors, if you can make out the manufacturer on the plate -- but, at the price you paid, maybe it does not make much difference :)

Gary

« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:06:40 PM by GaryGary »