Author Topic: Looking for Flexible Mirror  (Read 8831 times)

Matrix1000

Looking for Flexible Mirror
« on: July 08, 2007, 06:14:35 PM »
When I was in the Fort Knox pen, I noticed that they used this flexible saran wrap like mirror in the weight room instead of glass or plastic. It was indecernable from perfect glass or hard plastic mirror and when poked it just bent and flexed like plastic wrap. They just stretched it between a couple of boards glued to the wall and it looked just like glass plate mirror.

I'd like to find a source for it to make a solar concentrator etc but I can't seem to find it in sheet/roll form. I thought it might be aluminized mylar but from what I could find online aluminized mylar didn't seem to be mirror quality. (I could be wrong)

Anyone know where I can get it?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:14:35 PM by (unknown) »

thefinis

Re: Looking for Flexible Mirror
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
Mylar really is what I think you are wanting. It comes in a roll in varying widths and thickness. Do an online search for Mylar as you can find some pretty good deals. Greenhouse suppliers are a good place to look for it.

Here is a link about making mirrors from mylar.

http://www.nielsensenterprises.com/snomo/mylar.htm

Finis

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 04:11:14 PM by thefinis »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »
Interesting link, Finis . . .

hmmm, hydroponics in Washington State . . .  makes me think "I did not inhale . . ."  :) :)

Interesting note on the Solar Concentrator on there about an old Satellite dish, too.  But the guy used Elmer's Glue?  I am thinking this toy should not be left out in the rain, or even dew?

When I was shopping for what would make "good, fast, cheap" mirrors, I had pondered mylar as well.  It seems like it would shape very nicely.  Quotes I got were typically around 35 cents per square foot, but using mylar means that some other support is needed for it to maintain shape, as well -- so that cost must be added in, as well.  

It looked like prices on the link you provided ranged from about 15 cents to around about 70 cent per square foot depending on thickness?

A second matter after price was durability.  Estimates I heard were 2 years max, out of doors.  Does that seem correct?  I think I have seen mylar on glass that lived much longer than that.  Like auto tint, for example.

At any rate, between price and rumors of lack of durability, I settled on glass mirrors, but am more than willing to change my mind.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 04:56:49 PM by Phil Timmons »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »

hmmm, hydroponics in Washington State . . .  makes me think "I did not inhale . . ."  :) :)

added to "When I was in the Fort Knox pen,"

Kind of leaves an impression this is more than looking at oneself to shave. But, its none of my affair either way.

Just my evil humorous side there. I have seen mylar used for this in hen houses to amplify the light very durable and hoses off easy.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:03:02 PM by TomW »

Matrix1000

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »
Thanks!  Thats the stuff. I've contacted them.

I'm going to make a prototype using plastic cardboard and then build one with with a frame and stretch it over the frame.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:54:08 PM by Matrix1000 »

cyplesma

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »
nice thing about mylar as I understand (looking into doing a hydroponic project) is it reflects the light without reflecting the heat.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:09:36 PM by cyplesma »

thefinis

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:22:44 AM »
I wasn't really recommending that sites products but it is interesting that grow lights and mylar and hydroponics all seems to run hand in hand. I have concerns about how well mylar will hold up outdoors or even where it gets water on it often. For some applications any reflected light is fine like plant growing but for a solar concentrator the surface needs to be like a mirror. Any oxidation or flaws that change the reflected light will make a difference. It is fairly cheap and flexible so for experimenting it may work fine.

Mylar reflects heat as well as light. I use it in the summer for some of my windows as it cuts down the cooling bill.

Finis

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:22:44 AM by thefinis »

cyplesma

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »
well it's nice to know that mylar does reflect heat, I had read on one hydroponic site not to use aluminum foil or mirrors to reflect light onto plants since they reflect the heat as well as light. something about burning the plants up if they get too much heat as well as the light.

so I guess I need to know from an actual user of mylar does it reflect as much heat as a mirror?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:02:54 PM by cyplesma »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
Hi,

I've used reflectorized Mylar from Nielson, and had good luck with it and with them.

The reflector I have has been outside for a bit over a year, and still looks like new, but from what I have heard the life is around 2 or 3 years.  

Duane at www.RedRok.com has quite a bit of info on reflectors.  

In some cases he uses grease to attach reflectorized Mylar to satellite dish antennas to make concentrators.  The idea behind the grease is that it sticks well, but when the Mylar needs replacing it can be peeled off and new Mylar applied.

Gary

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:50:20 PM by GaryGary »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »
Heat is infrared light . . .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:03:31 PM by wooferhound »

Derek

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 05:57:48 PM »
Never tried that stuff, but I've seen mirrored plexiglass or something recently.  This stuff seems really cool, but cant find it in any stores.  Where do I get it online?

I also seen some stuff that looked like mylar laminated onto a 4x8' piece of paneling, which was pretty cool.  But it wasnt for sale, just used as part of a display in a store.  But where do I find that plexiglass thats mirrored?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:57:48 PM by Derek »

Phil Timmons

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:08:12 PM »
I have found hunks of it on Ebay as surplus from a plastic dealer in either VA or NC, as I recall.  He would put his various scraps and cut-offs on ebay and sell them off in  bundles.

I talked with him on the phone, and he was real interested in selling to guys like us.  But I wound up going with glass mirrors because I have found them to be available either cheap or free, instead.  Turns out that big old glass mirrors are a real pain for homeowners to get rid of when doing house remodeling.  

Hey, I hit a search on ebay for 'plexiglass mirror' under business and industrial >>>

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C2&from=R10&_tr
ksid=m37&satitle=plexiglass+mirror&sacat=12576%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sa
dis=200&fpos=76010&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprc
hi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

There is a bunch of it from different folks.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:08:12 PM by Phil Timmons »