Author Topic: solar panel voltage  (Read 1427 times)

brkwind2

solar panel voltage
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »
Or does it really matter.  I know my HF panels put out around 26.8 volts open circuit on my 12 volt system.  So which one will charge a 12v battery faster?  A panel with 18 v open circ. or 27 v

Another dumb question I'm sure but thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:02:41 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: solar panel voltage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
To find out which array will charge the battery faster, you really need to know the current that the array is capable of supplying. If it is not listed on the back of the module, it can be found by dividing the wattage by the voltage.

Keep in mind the voltage may change while in operation.

There are many factors that can have an influence on PV performance. The same module might exhibit high voltage when cool and once its been sitting in the sun for a while, the voltage might drop to 18v. Also, the physical size of each cell may determine its current rating. It depends how the cells are series, and parallel connected inside each module, and how each module is series and paralleled in the array.

It also depends what type of charge controller you maybe using.

It also depends what type of battery, its size (Ah), how old the battery is, and the temperature of the battery.

Im assuming you are using HF panels? These are amorphous modules. They have slightly different temperature characteristics than most PV modules, but everything has its pros and cons.

The 18v module and the 27v could have the same wattage ratings (for all I know). The cells in the 18v module could be slightly larger (supplying a slightly higher current) than the cells in the 27v module. The 27v module then would just have smaller cells, but more of them. The 18v module might have 36 cells, and the 27v module would have 54 cells. So, since they could be the same wattage, its important to measure the current so that you can have a full understanding of whats going on. You could then use Ohms law to work it forwards and backwards. You just need two of the three variables.

Hope I at least half answered your un-answerable question. :-)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:50:42 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »
After re-reading your original question, (Im not familiar with HF modules) could you have meant that each module is rated for 18-27voc? This could make sense, seems a little far of a swing, but maybe the last time you measured the VOC it was cold? Then the 18v reading would be during high ambient temps.

Hard to say...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:55:23 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Opera House

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 04:20:19 AM »
Solar panels are a current source.  If you notice, the spec for max power current and shorted current are about the same.  It takes an 18V panel just to overcome diode loss, lead loss, internal resistance, temperature and light level conditions when used on a 12V battery.  Remember it takes 14V to charge a battery.  A 40V panel will charge a 12, 24, 36, or 48V battery bank with almost the same current. A power point controller can use the extra reserve voltage to create some extra watts through a conversion process.  Higher OC voltage is only important if the controller is not able to tolerate the maximum voltage at low load conditions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:20:19 AM by Opera House »

cyplesma

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »
something to consider is the maximum input voltage for whatever controller you use.

I've got 3 VW trickle chargers which have their own built in controller that maxs out at 13.8 volts.

I have a coleman trickle charger from walmart that does not have a diode or built in controller, which will cause my controller to error out due to input over voltage. I've seen it put out 26 volts with no connection. I have yet to get a diode across the coleman panel but for now I just set it so it doesn't get direct sunlight.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:53:08 PM by cyplesma »

brkwind2

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »

1. watts,7.19 Imp, 27.1 Vp $ 536.25 $ 2.75
  2. Watt, 11.15 Imp, 18.4 Vp $ 528.90 $ 2.58

So I'd probably be better off with the 27 v panels eventhough they cost a little more?  The 18v would be marginal maybe?

on another note, am I figuring wrong or did they misprint?

Sunforce 30 Amp Digital Charge Controller, Model# 60032

Amps 30

Watts 500

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332575_200332575

If it is good for 30A then at 12vdc that would be 360 watts wouldn't it?  Where are they getting 500 watts?

Thank you to everyone patient enough to answer my questions.  

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:22:59 PM by brkwind2 »

Opera House

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
I doubt that charge controller would take that extra voltage and convert it into extra watts.  Looks like a simple regulator that only protects the batteries from overcharge.  As I read your situation, the 18V panels (12V nominal) would be the better panel.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:44:36 PM by Opera House »