Author Topic: Which one(s)?  (Read 10532 times)

Jeff

Which one(s)?
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »
I'm buying a new solar panel & controller very soon! The first question I have though, is if the Kyocera KD210GX-LP (210 watts) would be too much for the MorningStar SS-MPPT-15L? The amps look OK, but the watts are just over the 200watt claimed max.

Or, should I just go for the Blue Sky solar Boost 2000E ?

I was also thinking of the Mitsubishi PV-UD190MF5, which looks like a much better built panel to me, (more high tech goodies). Then the controller choice wouldn't be as much of an issue. BUT, the efficiency claims to be 16% on the Kyocera panel, while the Mitsubishi claims only 13.7%.

So, "if ya'll had your druthers", what would the guru's here pick?

I'll be going to ghurd for a diversion controller soon too.

Just ask if anyone wants links to the pages, or PDF files for specs. But I like to keep it as short as possible, and I figured ttthe guru's here would know anyway.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:38:02 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Which one(s)?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »
Sounds to me like 210W is not a big problem.

SS-MPPT Manual:

Section 4.5 Solar Overload.

"The SunSaver MPPT will limit battery current to the 15A maximum rating.  An oversized solar array will not operate at peak power.  The solar array should be less than the SS-MPPT nominal max input power rating for optimum performance."

Will not need a ghurd controller with a controller like that, unless you have some plan to do something a bit different than average.

The SB200E has a listed max open voltage input of 30V, and is intended to use a "12V" panel.  That puts it out of the running for the 24V panels.

Which panel would come down to the cost for me.

Cell efficiency really doesn't matter.  You are buying output watts.

G-

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:47:58 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jeff

Re: Which one(s)?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
Thanks Ghurd!

Yea, everything is staying 12v. The idea was to have two banks of 5 each 115 a/h FLA's, which with what I'm using, either panel I mentioned would easily get the unused bank nice & fully charged well before the in-use 5 got to 60% SOC (I have 2 sets of Harbor Fright 45w panels hooked up to the 5 in-use array). I use one of those Harbor Freight controllers as a PDU, and a large bridge rectifier to protect the panels. That could be eliminated using the 3-way diversion controller similar to what you made for Wooferhound. The third diversion would be to a 300 watt water heater made to be mounted to the bottom of a 55 gal. stainless steel tank made for a camping trailer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:21:19 PM by Jeff »