Author Topic: diy solar panel  (Read 38923 times)

kattos

diy solar panel
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »
is diy solar panels worth doing
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:14:49 AM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: diy solar panel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:48:16 AM »
in my opinion,  no!

ymmv

bob g

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:48:16 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »
Well, it depends.

Photovoltaics? I say No!

Solar Thermal? I say Definitely!

Define "Worth Doing".

Your question is too vague.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:34:09 AM by TomW »

Rover

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:49:28 AM »
I agree with the others, the only possible reasons I can see for DIY are

1. You have some really weird off the wall voltage requirement that can't be met with a standard panel(s) (really have to be quite weird).

2. You want to mount it in a location that won't accommodate the square or rectanguar dimensions (wedge shaped boat cabin roof , etc)

3. You are more interested in going through the toils and tribulations of DIY as opposed to the ready made output from purchased panels

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:49:28 AM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
I would say no. It seems like a lot of work for a panel that will cost almost as much if not more than a shop bought one. A panel which has no guarantee and is unlikely to be as well sealed as a quality bought panel.

The only way I'd bother to do this is if I got the cells for free (unlikely!)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:13:36 AM by Junkie »

bob golding

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:06:58 PM »
i would say possibly. if you are talking about pv which i assume i have noticed there are a lot of cells on ebay already tabbed. this makes a big difference. if you have to tab them yourself you will end up breaking a few or even a lot while you are learning. it is not as easy as you might think. the downside is they wont last long so if you are putting them on a roof expect to have to take them down and replace them after a time. it depends on how well you can seal them. i have built them in the past as an experiment. they worked ok for a summer until i dropped them and ended up with a lot of broken glass, sealant, and cracked cells. if i was to do it again i would use shrink wrap and seal the panels straight onto the glass. dont know how long it would last but it should be easy to rewrap them if the uv hardens the shrink wrap. if you go for the professional solution which is designed for the job it will cost as much as buying the panels. i am toying with the idea of having another go with these tabbed cells. good luck if you do go ahead,but dont expect to save much money.

bob golding

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:06:58 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:09:08 PM by Sr WiNdTeCh »
<<<------- cLiCk HeRe FoR mY sEtUp!

phil b

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
Photovoltaics...no.
I made my own from some seconds I got from Ebay several years ago. There is a story in my files. I ran then series/parallel for 12 volts. Slowly one in a series string burned out, then another. etc. I could have spent double the money and bought top quality panels that had a >15 year warranty.

For hot water, definitely yes.
Look at what Gary had done on his "Build it solar" site.
Phil

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
Just bought some EVA from ebay .I didn't search much and got burned on the shipping . I searched after and found this sight with some 8 x 28 cuts for 38 with standard UPS
http://insightwas.com/catalog/encapsulants-c-28_9.html

http://www.acc-silicones.com/applications/solarpanels/pvsolarsiliconeadhesivesencapsulants.ashx
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:26:07 AM by tecker »

solarkits

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Yes, Because A Diy solar panel is the solution if you don't want to spent more money to buy standard solar panels, which can be very expensive.

if you want to start build you first solar panel then You need check here to Find the right Blah Blah Solar Panels  Guide.

==

Speaking as a moderator-
This post looks like pure SPAM to me.  Especially considering the poster's listed website is the same as the link, which is one of those things that will not let a machine close it without seeing more crap about discounts and pop-ups.
With a lot of similarities to another scam, like the earth for energy crap.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,133928.0.html

DamonHD speaking as another mod: dropping URLs in the first post is a bit rude, IMHO, so I've nuked it along with the one in your profile.  If you're for real and not selling Earth4Energy snake-oil then please be patient.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:31:52 PM by DamonHD »

askenuk

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
ok i'm goin to probably expeletive deleted  some people in this post but my only intent is to give you a broader perspective. You should keep in mind that i am a disabled  person who previously had great dexterity but now struggles to sign his name legibly. i nhave peripheral neuropathy, better nthan bein dead which i was 3 years ago. i disagree emphatically that it is not worth building your own panels. i have built 3 so far, tabbing every 3x6" cell myself even though it may take several minutes to do each tab. i will provide pictures later. the panels are 18 volt, 3.3 amp design and the meter reads about 19.2 volts. i will be connecting to the chinese grid-interconnect inverters you can purchase on ebay for about $100 each and connect 2-3 panels for each inverter. these panels work out to be 60 watts costing approx 2.10 PER watt. not very good considering i have sourced chinese-made, very excellent ul cert panels w/25 year warranties for $1.73 per watt. in 20-panel min orders. but these were first-try prototypes! they used acrylic (not uv transmitiing) plastic face and no encapsulant. so basically, not guaranteed for more than 1 year. i now have a much better design using monocrystalline6x6" A-grade cells with corner breaks, low-iron-tempered glass which transmits 93% usable light frequencies vs 81% for plastic or standard glass. i've tabbed enought cells for 10 168 watt panels so far.

These new designs will cost $1.41-1.50 per watt depending on sourcing of frame extrusions. the point is you don't know until until you try...and build it yourself. put your money and your sweat on the line. don't listen to these self-proclaimed "experts" whether they have "super moderator" or 1,000 posts to their name.

i learn with every variable i change and test. i also learn from "almost" every post i read here and elsewhere.  finallay, if you're trying to put an array together and you can spend $1.41/watt for  2,000 watts or  $2,820 vs spending $2.50-3.50 or $5,000-7,000, and you have the time to do it, is it worth the savings? I can't answer that without knowing your tolerance for risk and your financial resources. personally, if i had the money i would buy the commercial panels and experiment on the side. good luck

don't believe that you will break a significant number of cells in the soldering process. i had almost no experience soldering, seriously compromised dexterity and i estimate i have broken less than 1/2 of 1 % of the cells i'vve soldered.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:23:16 AM by TomW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
askenut;

This is a family place.

Please watch your language.

This was a one time pass.

Any more the whole post goes away.

Tom