Author Topic: Charging through hydrogen generator  (Read 1636 times)

Matrix1000

Charging through hydrogen generator
« on: July 19, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
Please excuse the off topic nature for this excersize.

Ok so Ed (windstuff) got me thinking about a solar/wind powered 3 wheeled electric vehicle so it got me believing I could build one myself. Now all I can think about is EV's (dammit Ed)

So I spent my vacation out at the lake designing a wire frame, and scupting a body and thinking about the motor design. Then I came home and designed a mockup website for it revolt-ev.com (you know me, marketing first then design and reality later)

After thinking about the design for a while, ev's are limited by battery power onboard.

My thought is to charge the batteries via onboard unisolar flexible panels on the road and wind/solar at home passing the power through a high voltage, low amperage hydrolysis device and use a small 1 or 2 cylinder hydrogen combustion engine to power it. The onboard batteries would then be used while traveling to generate hydrogen as necessary.

My question is, would you guess that I would lose to much with the water in the way or would it be able to charge the batteries effectively.

From what I understand voltage is what breaks the hydrogen bonds not amperage. High voltage is what charges the batteries but amperage is necessary to push the charge into the batteries. So transforming the power to high voltage at low amperage might generate hydrogen as it passes through the water.

I understand that there will always be energy lost but what I'm wondering is if this would be in effect a lever/more efficient way to use energy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, I have a thought. Take it to an EV forum. This place is already too full of this stuff now.
Plus you said "hydrogen".

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:55:47 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: Charging through hydrogen generator
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »
Every conversion will experience losses as you have stated...

Unless somebody discovers some new method, its my understanding that...

"...One Amp for 4 sq inches of plate, any more and there is an exponential increase in electroplating/erosion, 1 amp for 6-8 sq in is better for long plate life, but if quality stainless steel is cheaply available, the higher amps will produce more HHO.

1.8-2.0 Volts per cell, any more and there is excessive heat and water vapor production...even 1.7V per cell, hardly can see bubbles flow out from cell. 1.8V and above the cell produces fair a mount of bubbles..."

This is from a guy using a 14V car alternator to power 7 stacked series cells (7 cells X 2.0V/each = 14V)

I haven't made one yet, but many websites show working devices. Based on real-world data, you will be VERY disappointed chaining that many conversions to power a wheel. Most I have seen used an alternator to generate enough gas to roughly displace about 10% of the gasoline.

If you are using the on-board battery to produce gas to power an engine to generate electricty for the wheel-motor...I am certain you will end up pushing your EV home after just a few miles.

IMHO, optimum configuration is light/aerodynamic two seat 3-wheel (two in front, 3-wh is technically a motorcycle) that uses only batteries. Pack would be lead/acid to start, later upgrade to half lead, half lithium. When longer trips are needed, a small series hybrid trailer can be attached using fuel of your choice (I like bio-diesel/WVO)

Just my $.02, best of luck!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:32:24 AM by spinningmagnets »