Author Topic: charging batteries  (Read 1677 times)

brians

charging batteries
« on: April 17, 2005, 07:52:52 PM »
ok i went to sams this weekend bought 6 batteries i wired them in series, and parallel      

i made my own lugs took some copper pipe the same size of my welding cable flaten one side and cremp the other side

had big pannel lying aroung so used it

i have a walmart battery charger will this work for a while i need to put an alt on my tire of my jetta to charge them . tell me what you think please
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 07:52:52 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: charing batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:05:58 PM »
   I would solder the wires in the tubing to make sure you get a good non-corrosive connection.  As the metal oxidizes it will reduce the contact and create hot spots when your putting a load on the battery pack.  Eventually could cause a fire.  Other than that it looks ok.   Are they in a fairly well ventilated area?  Another note: its good to add some heavy fuses to the ends of the pairs incase one battery decides to short.  It will blow the fuse on that pair and you'll still have the 4 as back up.  The fuses will make sure you don't end up with a fire and/or take out your whole battery pack.

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 02:05:58 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

nothing to lose

Re: charging batteries
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:59:28 PM »
Like windstuffnow said.

I like them, also recomend soldering or at least an anti-oxident paste like used on aluminum wire. Can't say if it's any good, but I used it on mine and seems ok.

Might want to round off the ends of your connectors, save on scrapes and cuts. I rounded mine, barely tell the difference between the ones I made and those you buy for tons of money.

Also, you did clean the inside of the tubbing before making them right? I split an old pen down the center, slid a piece of fine sand paper into the split and used a drill to spin it. Made a real nice hone, I have done similar to hone brake cylinders also when I did not have a hone small enough. That got them nice and clean, then I used the anti-oxident paste I had handy, solder and gun weren't nearby (kinda lost right then).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 02:59:28 PM by nothing to lose »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »
I use a torch for soldering the larger stuff. Takes a few tries to get used to it.

Those cables will take a lot of solder, get the BIG roll.

The solder must be rosin core. Don't use acid core plumbing solder.

G-

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:33:00 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Experimental

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 10:22:22 AM »
Good morning all,

For fuses and a nice fuse block -- Go to your local Napa auto parts store and order Part #782-1143 (fuse block) A bargan at $12.86 -- the fuse is ordered seperate, and the part number for 225 amp fuse is 782-1141 at $7.86 each, but can be ordered at any amperage rateing !!

This is not my idea, and was mentioned in an earlier bullitin -- but I just purchased some, and they are worth being brought up again ---AND, Napa stores are everywhere, so, it,s really handy !!   Bill H.......
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 10:22:22 AM by Experimental »