Author Topic: spark treating batteries with an electric fencer????  (Read 2275 times)

MtnTopRebel

spark treating batteries with an electric fencer????
« on: April 22, 2005, 03:05:58 AM »
Any ideas on where it would work, blow things up or??????
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 03:05:58 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: spark batteries with an electric fencer????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:48:59 PM »
I am assuming here you are in America! and suggest you advise your government, it may prevent a retalitory strike from Russia, North Korea or China.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 10:48:59 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

K3CZ

Re: spark treating batteries with an electric fenc
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:05:14 AM »
While such an idea might appear attractive, it has at least the following disadvanctages:   Extremely lo power per pulse; Pulse is AC, not the required DC; hazardous to operator (ouch!!).            K3CZ
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 06:05:14 AM by K3CZ »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:44:54 AM »
 I dought it would hurt anything other than maybe ruin the battery, but be SAFE and be far away when you turn it on!!

This is HIGH volts, very low amps, and I don't think it will blow up the battery, but I could be wrong too.

As for being AC volts I don't think so, but again I could be wrong. I have had several  chargers they seemed to be DC, but I never actaully checked them. I have had 120Vac and 6Vdc powered ones. Solar 6Vdc one was lower volts like around 5,000 I think.

If they are AC then it should be easy enough to put a bridge rectifier or something at the end of the wire.

I was going to try this myself long ago but forgot about it after I bought a pulse charger.  I would take the battery way out away from anyting and run a fence wire to it. Keep the charger at the house.

This way if it goes BOOM you only lose one battery, maybe a rabbit or skunk.

Nice thing about fence chargers, mine powers about 2 miles of wire or allot more (forget total now) so that means you don't have to be anywhere near the end of the line.

I was going to put mine in a clearing and let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it off and check the battery, heat, bubles, volts, etc.. and if all seemed fine then run it about 1-2Hrs and check again. If evrything still seemed fine just leave it on all night. Kinda work into it slow, shutting it off and checking every so often.

And I would not SPARK it, I was going to use a solid connection, if it works you should get Hydrogen and sparks will blow up the battery then. Pretty sure you did not mean actually "spark treating batteries" will a real spark there, but thought I should mention that just in case :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 07:44:54 AM by nothing to lose »

John II

Re: spark treating batteries
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:45:07 AM »
I have been shocked by electric fencers several times. Now I'm more frightened by a fence then even my cows ! But it does restore amazing vitality and energy in a person for at least a few seconds : )

I'm guessing it won't do much for your batteries however.

John II

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 07:45:07 AM by John II »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 03:53:09 PM »
John II:

At least the bolt wakes you up for just a couple seconds.

The electric fence utilizes from 5 to 30 Kilovolts pulses, around once a second and the energy is low, around 30 to 100 millijoules, with a very high inductance value source.

Though the energy is OK, it is not a low voltage ( around 30 to 50 volts)with very low inductance, which gives current in some high amps.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 03:53:09 PM by Nando »

Peppyy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »
I would be more worried that it would blow up the fencer. If I remember correctly the older ones used a large capacitor and a device simmilar to a automotive flasher. You could hear the distinct "Click,,,,, Click" for quite a distance. The newer ones are all electronic so I would be hesitant hooking any voltage source to the output terminals, especially something with a lot of amps.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 06:01:07 PM by Peppyy »

MtnTopRebel

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 11:03:31 AM »
I tried it, didn't haul them buggers out of the battery shack, but hooked em up before I powered the fencer... this was an oldie old flasher style pulser, not sure if AC or DC... didn't see much success though.. fortunaly I didn't blow anything. guess I need to look up a pulse charger design...

My 24/36 trace died a couple years ago, and I fell back to my 12 volt system. so my 24 volt system of 8volt batteries set idle for the most part getting a hold ya over charge once in a while... well now with a new 24/36 I am trying to get things back on line. and I have some cells that just are not coming up like I had hoped...  So I am looking for ideas on how to jolt reality back in them... although they seem to be getting better... I hope.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 11:03:31 AM by MtnTopRebel »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
I have pretty new ones, about 5 years old maybe, they use a transformer and small circuit board and go click click with working correctly. If the light is flashing on the front and the clicking is not heard then I know they ain't working, I had to change the transformer in one twice under warauntee.

No click I'd get out the tester (was too chicken to stick my tongue on the wire) .

I think these are like Red Snapper brand 120V types and put out about 7-10,000V acording to the tester. Very good when working, I just happened to get a couple bad transformers from what they said was a bad batch. The second charger never broke.

Fixing the broke one twice was totally free, they just sent me the parts and wrench with a phone call. Very good service. But for $80 a charger it should be!!

Probably a good idea to use a diode or bridge rectifier with them for other uses.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 04:33:50 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 04:54:15 PM »
Have no Idea if this will work, but give it a try :)

Take a charger that is always on (not a smart charger, those are brain dead!)

Stick a turn flasher on one line of the charger. It should "flash" and pulse the battery. Rather it does any good I don't know, but it should not hurt to try it.

Battery manual I got with some chemical stuff suggests that very slow charging also helps as it gives the gunk time to slowly disolve back into the acid compared to faster charging. Recommends 2 amps for several days, though this was more for normal auto type lead acid batteries, not 200amp or larger deepcycles.

May be worth a try.

If you can I would slow charge at 2amps on a couple, pulse with a flasher a couple others, and experiment. Maybe pulse flash at 2 amps some and others at 10 amps.

Depending how many batteries you have and chargers.

If all else fails I have a brain dead Vector smart charger, about $80-$100 from Wal-mart a year or more ago. 2/10/20/40 amps plus 100amp booster, there are lesser cheaper ones also.

The desulfate mode seems to work (basically pulse charging). I call it brain dead because it will not turn on with a really dead battery like when you leave car lights on untill you use some other way like jumper cables to charge the battery some. Real smart to make ANY battery charging device so that you have to pre-charge a dead battery before it works, I think the designers are also brain dead!

Is better to build your own if you can, but one of those or similar may work well also. I think mine has done some good an various batteries here, but how can you really tell?

I do have one I am pretty sure of, it was a junk deepcycle that came from a scrap yard dead, would not hold a charge when tested before pulsing, it now starts a large 460 engine just fine :)

Even after sitting a week or more, and that engine is hard to start. So pulsing I am sure worked on that one.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 04:54:15 PM by nothing to lose »

hobot

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 07:00:46 PM »
Pulse mode hi freq desulfator chargers

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/index.htm

EDTA chelation therapy

http://www.webspawner.com/users/edta

hobot

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 07:00:46 PM by hobot »

nothing to lose

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 10:39:08 PM »
Thanks for that EDTA link!

Reading that info I think I will test some stuff I have here. I bought a quart of powder stuff that looks a bit like salts mail order. Did not think it worked too well.

That says does NOT mix with acid, disolve in water first. If what I have is the same thing, that part was not mentioned and I added the powder in acid instead of disolving in water.

I think I will draw some acid from a good battery and mix this stuff with it and see if it disolves, if it does not then that may be why it did not seem to work well. If that's the case then I will mix with water and try again.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 10:39:08 PM by nothing to lose »