Author Topic: Tool Chest Battery Box?  (Read 9360 times)

mungewell

Tool Chest Battery Box?
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:23:38 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking for a battery box solution, something to keep batteries 'safe and sound' from the lower temperatures and little 'pixie' fingers.

Local hardware store has a steel tool chest (job site storage size) for a reasonable price. It would be a little tight (height wise) but my batteries would fit.

Q. Would this make a good solution?

I'd have to cut a vent hole/pipe in the back and add some rigid insulation to the outside - thinking that panels of foam could be slotted into rails for the winter and removed for the summer.

Batteries/Invertors are located in a insulated room, in an un-heated garage in Southen Alberta. Low temp nominal -20'C, maybe -40'C for a day or two but not longer.

Q. Should I also put in some form of drainage, or sit the batteries on some plastic trays?

Cheers,

Simon.

Re-sectioned to a more appropriate section.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:23:38 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Tool Chest Battery Box?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
Can you just get a nice large junk chest freezer, or a large upright frig or freezer and lay it on it's back?

I think that would be my starting point, probably free or very cheap. Then if you need more insulation add it. Buying a tool storage unit, I am thinking it's just a metal box you can lock shut. Add a lock to a chest freezer and same thing but partly insulated to begin with.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:48:24 PM by nothing to lose »

getterdone

• living off grid
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »
NTL,what ya been up to? i think your right a chest freezer would be the berries in his part of the world.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:41:32 PM by getterdone »

snowcrow

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:46:05 AM »
Sounds good to me, Simon!! I would look for a plastic job box, no need for a tray and its easier to cut a hole for a vent or drill for the wire conduit. I myself, don't like use a steel box for storage because of the risk shorting and corrosion due to gassing of the batteries!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:46:05 AM by snowcrow »

luv2weld

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »
Simon,

NTL's idea is perfect. Or, maybe a large plastic ice chest would work better for you.

Already has a drain hole.And already insulated.

Very easy to drill through for vent and cable runs. Won't corrode. Won't short

out.

You didn't give us any idea about what size box you

need. We all have different systems and I'm sure the battery boxes run from

a single boat battery box up to almost a walk-in refrigerator. A box is a box!

As long as it fits your needs. It must protect the batteries. It must protect

anyone who might come near it. It must vent the gas to the outside. And don't

forget you need an inlet hole on the other side of the box from the vent to let

air in. Inlet needs to be low so you get the chimney effect. Air inlet and drain

hole can be the same hole. But I would put screen over it to keep critters out.

As snowcrow said, plastic would be better than metal. If you've ever looked at the

battery box in an old car, you know that eventually it will eat through metal.

One thing that bothered me was----"It would be a little tight (height wise) "

If you put plastic trays under the batteries, that makes them even higher!!!!

Make darn sure that the lid would not touch the battery posts!!!

I think I would even stand on the lid and jump up and down to see how much

flex the lid has. Yeah, I know. Right now you think I'm outta my mind!! But

you never know what kids are going to do, especially when you ain't looking!!!!

Ralph

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:25:33 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

disaray1

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »
How about something like this..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Sheds+%26+Outdoor+Storage&pid=07165043000&vert
ical=LAWN&subcat=Deck+%26+Patio+Storage&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

David

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:54:31 AM by disaray1 »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
My worry (sorry to butt in) would be having people sitting/climbing/jumping on something full of potentially explosive/corrosive/hot stuff.  OK unless you have active children I imagine.  But otherwise a very nice idea.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:00:36 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

mungewell

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. The box needs to house 8 x Surrette S-530's (12.5" x 7.125" x 16.75" tall + interconnects)

I like the idea of a large cooler, preferable it would start loaded with beer which would have to be consumed to prevent wastage ;-)

I wasn't sure of the sturdiness/airtightness of the deck boxes. I'll give them another closer look.

Regarding the 'pixies' - yes I have two. The locked battery box would be in a locked room in a locked garage.... as lockpicking is a useful skill to have this might not be enough.

Simon.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:19:50 AM by mungewell »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »
That's exactly my battery setup. I built a wooden box for about $50 in materials, then lined it with 2" foam and thick pond liner plastic to avoid spills. I think the whole thing came in at less than $100 and maybe three hours. I left room on one side to put a couple gallons of distilled so it doesn't freeze in the winter.

Oh these pictures were taken before I put the vents or the inverter cables in.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:30:25 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Lot's of good ways to build a box.

As for the freezer, I like those and they can be great and simple.

Some have plastic inner walls and some have steel. Either works but I would prefer plastic. I think for metal I would soak junk towels or other cloth in strong water and baking soda and let dry, line the bottom with that. If an acid leak the towels should netraulize it and help protect the bottom of the box.

I would make sure the inner metal walls are nicely painted or still has a good factory coating.

For wire inlets, drill a hole through side and glue in a piece of PVC pipe, this protects wires from cuts.

Insulation, already done. Add more inside or out as needed for your climate if you want. Already insulated to stay cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Get one a bit larger than needed, great place to store tools for the battery use, cleaners, brushes, wrenches if needed, etc... I would place a fake wall section inside to seperate storage area from batteries though.

Most the freezers I used outdoors for various things (or just let sit unused) have been fine for strength, solid lids ( I stand on them allot), they don't rust fast if bottom is painted well or is on supports off the ground. They do let rain leak in though so I put something over them, plastic sheet, piece of metal siding or such. Just anything to flow the water off the top so it does not run directly in the seals or between the walls.

A decent hole saw cuts through a freezer nicely so cutting holes for the Vent pipe or wires is easy.

Best of all, they are just a very large FREE box, and you are also stopping them from going into a land fill somewhere when you find them being tossed out on side of road.

Buying a good used one is cheap, maybe $20 for one that works good, but we don't need it to work. I think the good one I been using as a freezer for years now I paid $40 for at an auction.

Freezers may be great for many other things also. I have a medium size chest freezer I am drilling arm holes with PVC pipe inserts and airline holes in, installing a window in a side, outlet for shop vac on back, add a light and I have a mighty nice sand blasting cabinet larger and better than a $100 HF one, also nearly free :)

I have a really large freezer sitting by the dry pond. Big enough to sleep in, might fit two tightly. I think 6' long! Wife was joking about filling it for a swimming pool when we hit 105F the other day here. Hmmm, her joke but my Idea, Hot tub?? I have to drag it to the house, check the strength of the walls when full of water. I think it will work ok but may need to run a support along the sides to prevent bowing  out under the weight of the water. Take off the lid but keep it for a cover to keep leaves out.

Easy to paint a freezer anyway you want, so it does not have to be ugly sitting outside either.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:25:00 PM by nothing to lose »

mungewell

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:57:06 PM »
Just as a follow up... I actually ended up building one from wood, insulated with 1 1/2 rigid foam.

see http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2645/battery_box.JPG

Cheers,

Simon

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:57:06 PM by mungewell »