Author Topic: anyone need batteries(real ones)  (Read 3191 times)

whatsnext

anyone need batteries(real ones)
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:09:44 PM »
I just talked to my battery guy and he has my dream batteries a little too early for me.

GNB Absolyte IIP  model# 100A29, 1400Ah @ 6vdc. Built in racks. He has 20 of them he'll sell at scrap, aprox .12/lb. They are four years old. 700lb/6vdc case. They look new. I just wish I was ready for them. I'm pretty sure you would have to pick up in Kansas City. They are sealed and spillproof. Just google the "GNB Absolyte IIP" to get the full story.

John........
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:09:44 PM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: anyone need batteries(real ones)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:54:29 PM »
I'll talk to him tommorrow and measure some voltages. I'm pretty sure he would not charge much to band and palletize them. I just looked and they are about $2200/each new. There are enough for 2X 48VDC and 1X 24VDC sets, all at 1400Ah.

John..........
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 01:54:29 PM by whatsnext »

benjamindees

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 05:34:09 PM »
Wow, freight on those would be killer.  I'm in Tulsa, and I don't think I could justify driving that far for them, even if I could find a suitable vehicle.  Those are some damn heavy batteries.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:34:09 PM by benjamindees »

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 07:17:42 PM »
Freight would be a bit much but after getting 95% percent, or so, off the price it would still seem like a deal. I kind of thought some of the folks here would be climbing over themselves to get in line. I think I'm going to ask hi, to store a 48 volt string for me and a buddy is thinking about a 24 volt string.

John............
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:17:42 PM by whatsnext »

w32514

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 08:07:46 PM »
I might be interested in a 48 volt set.  Can you send me the contact info?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:07:46 PM by w32514 »

whatsnext

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 08:45:16 PM »
This guy does not really want any RE guys calling him out of the blue. Send me an e-mail at johnsbmw(at)gmail(dot)com. I'll get you some pictures and the cell by cell voltages. His scrap truck picks up next week, so I'm sorry, but it is a bit of a rush for us to make up our minds. I'm going back there at lunch tommorrow and I let you know what I see. My zip is 64126. I'm not sure if eight batteries would fit on two pallets but they may. Total weight would be about 5600lb.

John....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:45:16 PM by whatsnext »

nothing to lose

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 05:23:38 PM »
Dang and I am about broke still. Got hit hard with extra bills!

If I did my math correct, 700lbs at 12cents is $84 each for 1400amphr 6V, so (X2) $168 for 1400amphr at 12V.

I would love to have those, a couple for home, and as many as I could get for the Non-profit I just formed. Kinda makes me sick everytime I see a semi load of gas and desiel guzzling generators heading south!

Looking for as many ways to incorporate renewable energy into diasaster relief as I can. Those batteries would be sweet to use for it :)

Help people and make an energy statement at the same time :)

Think if he don't sell them you could tell him you probably found a buyer for him so he don't scrap them. I could contact him or he could contact me, see what we could work out. Still waiting for the feds to get the IRS non-profit status done but it could be worth his while alot more (money and/or deductions) than if he scraps them for cheap!

Scrap they probably only bring 8-10cents lb, haven't been keeping up on such stuff myself lately though, too busy with government papers :(

Kansas City would be a good drive, but for enough batteries I could do it.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 05:23:38 PM by nothing to lose »

nickelbender

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »
I found two 8 ton battery packs sitting on there charge stations where I work. So I looked into their value...

8 cents a pound in Northern Ontario.

Pitty, when you think about it. These batteries probably had nothing wrong with them when they were abandoned unknown number of years ago. As for the old 1940's loco they powered its still quietly (and technicaly not on the asset manifest) maintained by me personaly. There is nothing finer than a ride down the rails on a battery motor in the wee hours of the morning when you've nothing to do.

You know if you ask the motor crews who drove them and the electrcians that repaired them and just about every one else who used them, they'll tell you they prefered the old "lead sleds" to the diesls. If I were a rich guy with property I'd ask for a pass out for 173 Loco, lay some rail around my home and spend my days drinking scotch riding my train in circles and building a few windmills to charge it up!!!!!

I'm getting all misty eyed......

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:43:17 PM by nickelbender »

ignesandros

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 06:47:11 AM »
Whatsnext, man I sure wish I had the money and room for those. Oh well, I've light-years away from economically charging and draining them, anyway.

Nickelbender, sounds like the romance of the old rails to me. You might be able to find cheap rails from closed down mines in your area.

Nothing to lose, please e-mail me with a little info about your non-profit.

-Andrew

« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 06:47:11 AM by ignesandros »

fastrack

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »
I would be intrested in the Batteries I am not far from KC. Who do I contact ?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 10:05:07 AM by fastrack »

whatsnext

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 01:06:50 PM »
Me. E-mail me at johnsbmw(at)gmail(dot)com. It may be too late to get them but I'll stop by on the way home to find out. Any idea how many you might want?

John......
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:06:50 PM by whatsnext »

nickelbender

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »
I missed this.....

Nope on the rails once the lights go out in an old mine they flood.....

Once the powers out and the fans stop running the Oxygen content in the air drops fast.

With no one around to check the ground support the back and pillars start to fail and the whole mess can come down on your head.

Never go in an abandoned mine looking for treasure. Let me tell you a story. I was the shift electrcian at mine "X" and a closed mine next door was used to exhaust air from the deaper workings so we kept the closed mine de-watered and I would go in and inspect the pumps. One quiet night I went for walk where I shouldn't have been and tried to light smoke in an area with so little oxygen I couldn't light it.

BTW the area I was in hadn't been touched since the 70's so the roof bolts were rotten and were failing out of the holes.....

« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:59:51 PM by nickelbender »

ewitte

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 02:23:25 PM »
Any of those left?  You think there would be any late November?  I'd drive up to KC for that price.  

Eric

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 02:23:25 PM by ewitte »

whatsnext

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »
Eric, Yes there are still five pallets left with 12 cells per pallet. I can get you some pics later. Email me at johnsbmw(at)gmail(dot)com. I've had five people ask for pictures, claim they wanted a set, and then just disapear. This is exactly why the industrial battery guy did not want to take calls from RE people but, for some reason, I'm still taking them. Let me know if you are really interested and I'll make sure he does not send them to the scrapper.

John.....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:44:28 AM by whatsnext »