Author Topic: How many batteries  (Read 2784 times)

thumbnail101

How many batteries
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:02:08 AM »
hi, just wondering what other people are using for battery power,how many batteries?,how much amp hr?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 01:02:08 AM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:37:46 PM »
My home system uses 22 of these. 2 are out of sight. Total amp HRs at 48 volts 484.

I also have a small 12 v at 65 AH for control stuff on this system.

I have a 220 AH 120 volt system at my store. I also have a 2850 LB lift truck battery in a 12 volt system at my store but I don't know how many AH that one is? Maybe 4,00 AH?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:37:46 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
Whoops. Should have wrote 4,000 AH?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:39:51 PM by Jerry »

satchel

Re:lift truck battery
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:41:49 AM »
i have no clue as to the amp hrs ,but i do know they will a 16 hr. shfit on a charge

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:41:49 AM by satchel »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: How many batteries
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 04:44:03 AM »
OK I think I said this recently, but maybe I was dreaming!!!!!!

Take your daily requirements in amphours, times three. Now use batteries that can supply this amount without going below 50% state of charge. Just in case the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine.

You may choose to be kinder to your batteries and use a higher figure like 80%, but it has a cost penalty.

Realy it depends on your site, wind/solar potential and what you intend to install, verses your use.

allan down under

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 04:44:03 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

thumbnail101

Re:batteries
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 04:52:33 AM »
yes sorry the post was alittle veag.but meant to ask what for people running off grid like danb,how many batteries does dan run? the reason being is I just bought 18 L16's . Now when talking amp hr's do you ad up all the batteries amp hr's or do you just take the amp hr's from one battery to get the amp,hr rating for your battery bank?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 04:52:33 AM by thumbnail101 »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:09:07 AM »
The latter, each batterie amphour is for that voltage add them in series and increase volts same amphours. Add them two banks in paralell and double amphours.

allan down under

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 05:09:07 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:48:30 AM »
18 is a bit of an odd number- presumably you're @ 12 Volts and youll have lots and lots of batteries in parallel.  Most 12V systems are not large enough to require this many batteries.  Remember they do self discharge, every battery is like a bucket with a small hole in the bottom.  You don't want too many or you waste power just keeping them charged up.

I currently use 8 L-16's wired in series for 48V, about 350 AH.  This is really very much on the small side for what we need.   One day without any incoming power and we can hurt them.  But - with wind/sun both, we have plenty of incoming most days, I find myself running the backup diesel generator about once or twice a month to keep us up.  I plan soon (hopefully) to double the bank - we'd be on much better ground then.  

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 08:48:30 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Clifford

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 08:42:50 PM »
Everything has to be balanced.

If your generation capacity is say...  200 Watt Hours / day...   There is no sense in putting in 100 batteries!!!!!!  (well, unless it is a vacation house that you need LOTS of power on very rare occasions).

Another thing to keep in mind...   Someone was saying that it is not good to add "new" batteries to an "old" array.  So, if you are planning on expanding soon, it may be worth it to oversize your battery array a bit.

Here is an interesting graph from Rolls Battery:

http://www.dcbattery.com/rolls_cs_cell_cycle_life.html

I assume it is somewhat representative of deep cycle batteries in general.

Reading the graph...

If you discharge their batteries to 20%, you will get approximately 2 to 3 times as many charge/discharge cycles as if you discharge them to 80%.  

Is that bad?

Well, looking at it another way.

If you are only "sipping off the top" and discharging your batteries to 20%, then you will need about 4 times as many batteries as you would need if you were regularly dicharging them to 80%.  And, you may actually be spending more money on your batteries overall even though they last longer.

NOTE, their chart shows reasonable life at 100% discharge.  I have heard that it is VERY BAD to discharge Lead-Acid batteries down to 0 volts.  And, my battery array is still quite "young" so I can't report on real life-cycle experiences.

------

Currently I am generating around 200 Watt hrs / day, and running on 4 x 12V Walmart Special Deep Cycle batteries (only a few months old so I can't give you a longevitgy rating).  They actually seem to be a pretty good match, although I can't seem to charge from 11.0V to 12.6V in a single day (during the winter).

However, my next step is to try out some of the big power tools (table saws and etc).

I will probably look at expanding my array in a few years, but at the moment I am short a bit on funds, sunshine, and rooftop real-estate to put in a really big array of batts and solar panels.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 08:42:50 PM by Clifford »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 11:20:15 PM »
The 100% discharge rating is probably 11.9V

Sulfation starts at around 12.2V

Anything below 10.5V does permanent damage.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 11:20:15 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nothing to lose

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 06:44:30 PM »
" I just bought 18 L16's . Now when talking amp hr's do you ad up all the batteries amp hr's or do you just take the amp hr's from one battery to get the amp,hr rating for your battery bank?"

It depends on your voltage how many amp hours that would be. An L16p is 360amps rated over 20 hours (each) but that is at 6 volts per battery. I have a few L16P batteries myself.

If you have a 12V system, then you need 2 batteries in series to make 12V and that is still 360 amps hours. BUT you have 9 sets of 2, so 360 times 9 equals 3240 amps over a 20 hour discharge rate.

If you are at 24V then you need 4 6 volt batteries still at 360amps for the set, and you have an odd number, 4 1/2 sets? Same thing with 48V, you need 8 6volts and still 360 amps but would have odd number, 2.25 sets.

Being as 18 batteries only works out even as a 12V set I am geussing of course you are planning to run a 12V system.

Anyway, you add up the batteries to make your voltage and the amp hours of one battery is what that set has, 360amps. Then you would take the number of sets you have at that voltage and add up the amps. This is series and parralel wiring.

As far as how many batteries people have, that's an ok question for curiousity but it does not mean anything really. It is how much power you can make and how much power you will be using that really matters and that will almost certainly not be the same as other people. Then the voltages used also makes a bit of a difference, 48V system vs 12V system etc...

Another thought do you have random winds where you charge alot on the weekends but not much durring the week? (said strangly but you get the meaning I hope) You would need more batteries to store weekend power for weekday use compared to a person that gets the same average winds each day.

The basic rule of thumb is to store enough power for 3 days of non-power production.

That is totally dependant on what you will use yourself.

I have alot of batteries for different uses. I was keeping one house off grid but no longer rent that one. I geuss I was running around 800-1,000 amps there total between various banks in use. But then again that really means very little. Sometimes it was just a few CFL lights, TV, VCR, DVD, fans all at one time for a few hours. CFl lights  

many hours, fans all night long. Sometimes I used my lathe or milling machine, coffee pot, micro wave, those are all high power items normally only used short periods of time though.

I never ran out of power but I could charge anytime elsewhere. Too bad owners were dinks, was a great site for a wind genny there.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 06:44:30 PM by nothing to lose »

farmerfrank

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 07:06:09 PM »
Your in Windsor thumbnail...email me kowalec@yahoo.com

Have a good day
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:06:09 PM by farmerfrank »