Author Topic: Need help converting to battery thinking  (Read 2812 times)

sahlein

Need help converting to battery thinking
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:04:04 AM »
If I run a 12 volt system that draws 25 amps total load for 12 hours per day

What does that mean in amp/hours?

I want to be able to go 8 days without charging.  I have decided I don't want my batteries to go below 75% charge (or 25% discharged) in that period.

How much capacity do I need in my battery bank?

What is the self-discharge rate or how does one find out what it is?

I plan on having wind and solar in my chosen West Texas site.

I will also have 850 gallons in the propane tank for running generator for occaisional power tool use and charging if necessary.

Most water heating will be combination solar/propane.

The fridge/freezer will be propane powered.

My "retirement cottage" will be new construction with optimum insulation.  Heating will be propane.  Cooling by evaporative cooler.

Mostly I need help in converting my industrial electrician's mind to battery thinking.  I'm used to most kinds of gear from 5VDC to 480VAC controlled by Programmable Logic Controllers.  Just having trouble with this battery thing!!  Any  input/help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Joe S.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:04:04 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

BIG
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 09:38:32 PM »
If I run a 12 volt system that draws 25 amps total load for 12 hours per day

What does that mean in amp/hours?

I want to be able to go 8 days without charging.  I have decided I don't want my batteries to go below 75% charge (or 25% discharged) in that period.

25 X 12 = 600AH   600AH X 8 days = 4800AH use

You want that to be a 1/4 discharge - 4800 X 4 = 19,200AH bank size - or approximatly 100 - T105 Trojan Golf cart batteries. - about 6,000 pounds of lead and acid to maintain.

Personally I would think about having a smaller battery bank and a small auxillary generator you ran once every day or two as needed. I would go to 24V or 48V battery banks.  

Where in West Texas are you considering? West and North of a line from about Wichita Falls through Abiline and out to El Paso has the better wind speeds.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:38:32 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

sahlein

Re: BIG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:36 PM »
Between Marfa and Ft. Davis.  There are commercial windmills there and

I've been tracking wind speed for about 9 months and it looks good there.

12 volts because my radio, laptop, and 4 CFLs can run on 12.  I can make a converter to run the cell phone.  It's an oddball eight point something or other.

I'm not a T.V person, although the mule and the female may watch from time to time!

They don't need a fancy big one either.  Maybe one or both of them can run a treadmill to watch?

Guess one might call us "Provincial Minimalists"..... (poor country-folks).

Thanks for straightening me out on battery capacity/requirements.

How does one figure out the "Self-Discharge" rate??  I realize it's there but don't know how to deal with it.  Someone here described a battery as a "cup with a hole in it".  I can understand that idea.

Thanks again,

Joe S.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:58:36 PM by sahlein »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:56:27 AM »
"25 X 12 = 600AH   600AH X 8 days = 4800AH use"

I get about half of that, did you multiply wrong? 25 X 12 = 300AH I think.

So 300 x 8days is 2400 AH.

So I think I would cut the rest of the figures in half too?

Still 50 T105's is alot of batteries too.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:56:27 AM by nothing to lose »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:41:25 AM »
> radio, laptop, and 4 CFLs can run on 12.  I can make a converter

> to run the cell phone.  I'm not a T.V person, although the mule

> and the female may watch from time to time!

That doesen't sound like you would be pulling 25 amps to me ?

although extra capacity is always nice, you are looking at a very large battery bank with the requirements you state.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 04:41:25 AM by wooferhound »

wdyasq

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 05:23:56 AM »
BOY - NTL - teach me to blow a figure - it was late, I was.... nevermind - I screwed the math.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:23:56 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

henjulfox

Re: Need help converting to battery thinking
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 06:27:01 AM »
There may be an 8 day period without wind, but there probably won't be 8 consecutive days without wind or sunshine. Adding a couple solar panels may get you where you want to be a lot cheaper and easier.

-Henry
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:27:01 AM by henjulfox »

henjulfox

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 06:38:50 AM »
Never mind - on re-reading you are thinkinging of adding solar. I do think you can get by with less than 8 days of capacity. Even on a fully overcast day solar panels will provide a little charging.

-Henry
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:38:50 AM by henjulfox »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
Batteries have a self discharge of percentage. So the more amphours you store the more you will also lose and have to make up. Forgot what the rate of discharge is, like 1% a day or so I think. May vary with battery types also. Figuring 1% per day for normall deepcycle lead acids below, I hope I was correct after typing all that, it got longer than I thought.

So 25x12=300amp hours day, X 8 days= 2400ah hours (used), at 25% your bank would be  9600amphours, 1% self discharge is like 96amps per day? That's almost another 4 hours of load for you!

Not sure if that is exactly correct, might be abit more or less? Point is you have to charge up that loss also with your wind or propane genny. Figuring maintanance, loses, wiring, etc.. Sometimes it may be better to use a smaller battery bank, and even deeper discharge (if rarley needed) also. If I was correct above, that is 768amps or 9216watts at 12v in 8 days just for loses?

It is said that the less discharge the longer batteries will last, but at what cost is that? You need far more batteries and have much more loses when only using the top 25% than if you used about 35% or 45%. I geuss what I am getting at here is how much does it cost you to make a battery last 12years instead of 10 years, and is that extra cost actaully worth it. 20% or 25% is good, sometimes I see people wanting to only use 10% though.

300amps per day is 3600watts at 12V. Just curious what your charging conditons are. If you have solar and wind both, it would seem very unlikely you will ever go 8 days without any RE charging. Any charging you are getting means the battery bank could be smaller.

I think most systems are figured for 20% discharge and about 3 days storage in case no charging. 300amp per day at 20% would be 1500 amps X 3 days= 4500amphours of batteries.

Or at 25% discharge 300 X 4= 1200amps X 3 days= 3600amphours of batteries.

Either way you have about 1/2 or 1/3 the batteries to worry about and that much less self discharge you will have to replace. Less self discharge also means your RE system has a better chance of keeping up with the loads so you have to run the propane genny less often. I mean figure if your losing 96 amps per day with a giant battery bank, that is almost 1/3 of what you are actually using (300amps). If you have 3 days storage at 25% use and a selfdischarge of 1% thats 36amps per day, the extra 60 amps difference would actaully be charging up the power you really used, not just making up for selfdischarge. 60 amps is allot of power, every 5 days you save 1 entire days use (300 amps).

Or with solar pannels 60 amps is 720 watts loss, very expensive! 150watt pannels in 5 hours of great sun just barely covers that extra loss.

Every project and location is different and you know yours better than me of course but the above is the way I look at battery storage basically. The more losses you have then whenever you need to run the propane genny it will also have to run longer (and use more fuel) to make up that extra selfdischarge loss. So say you have to run the genny every 8 days to catch up, 60amps extra loss for 8 days is 480amps (5760 watts) more that the gennie has to produce just to cover that extra self discharge.

That extra loss is also 1.6 days of power figuring your usage at only 300 amps per day.

Looking at this I would geuss if your system could cover 8 days of use without running the genny to catch up, then it probably could cover 3 days of use with far less losses using a smaller battery bank. Figuring all the extra losses even if your system could not cover 8 days, it still might cover 3 days just fine with a smaller bank since you have far less losses it has to make up. 36amps of self discharge for a 3 day system will be far easier for your RE to make up than 96amps for an 8 day system. You could actually find that with the same RE power a 3day system may never need the propane genny ran to keep up, but an 8 day system may need it often!

If you found yourself needing to run the genny every 4 days or so even, you would most likely be saving money on propane since it would not have to make up the extra lost amps. It may need run more often but for a total of less time since it has to make up less total lost amps.

If that turned out to be the case I would be watching the charging of the RE sources close and the dump loads, if you are never dumping excess power then more batteries would do you no good other than maybe extend your time between running the genny from 4 days to 8 days, but increase your feul usage at the same time. If your often away from home 5-7 days maybe you need to do this? Course if not home, probably not the 300amp loads on those days?

If you found your dumpload does kick in sometimes because you made more power than you could store at that time, but a 3 day battery bank is not storring enough average to run the full 3 days, then I would add more batteries to catch and store what was being dumped. Maybe  think of a bumpy supply, maybe Sundays your at full charge and lots of wind so some power is dumped, but then winds die out and you have to run a genny on Wendsday, just before the winds pick back up on Thursday again. In such a case adding a few more batteries to catch the Sundays dumped power would be good if there is much of it. Course it don't work by days like that, but averaging it is what I mean.

You can always add more batteries if you have the RE to charge them and will use the power from them, hard to take back extras you don't need and get a refund on them though! They say not to mix old batteries and new ones, replace them all at one time etc.., but it does not hurt to add more new ones after 6 months or so if needed. Actaully I don't think it matters after 1 year even, the discharge cycle is small and the batteries still pretty new. Only thing it seems to do mixing old batteries and new anyway is drag down the new ones to the old ones level. Weakest link type thing, the entire battery system would only be as strong as the weakest battery basically.

I use allot of batteries I salvaged from a scrap yard, have to mix those up, never had a problem yet. Not like they explode or anything, just weakens any new ones added but they all work till one dies then it pulls down the entire chain untill removed. I do try to match up the batteries in banks of the same types, L16P together, T105 togther in seperate banks for different uses, but age does not matter as long as they work I mix them just fine as I get them.

So mixing New 1year old, and NEW NEW, should not make any reall difference. Mixing 9 year old and NEW just drags down the new ones if the old ones are weak, so that's not good.

So myself, figuring the losses of self discharge and all the extra costs of extra batteries, wires, space, maintanance (cleaning cables, filling with water, etc) I would start with a 3 day storage battery bank and see how that works. If at times I ran out of power but other times I was dumping excess I could not store, then I would  add more batteries of the same type and size as needed to even it out. If never dumping excess power then I would not really need more batteries, no way to charge them, so run the genny as needed, half as long every 4 days instead of once in 8 days twice as long, which also as I mentioned uses more fuel because of the extra amps lost in the larger bank that it also has to replace.

If I never ran out of power but was dumping alot of excess I still would not need anymore batteries since I would not be using the extra storage, unless I just wanted a less level of discharge, like if I was running 25% and always dumping power I could add more batteries and run at 10%. In this case the batteries might last a bit longer and if I was always dumping excess power the self discharge would not matter to me, it would only be a matter of cost and maintanance time. Most likely I would just find a use for the excess as a dumpload and forget the batteries though.

I mention always dumping excess power part because I have heard people thinking if power is being dumped they need more batteries to store it. That is not true, if the power is not being used then more batteries would just get full and then the excess would start dumping again! The only thing this might do is reduce the discharge level of the bank from 20% to only 10% and encrease self discharge amps also. Still if a system is making average of 500amps but only 400 amps is being used at the max, and the system is never without power, there is no reason to add more batteries to store the extra 100amps that gets dumped.

I heard a salemans pitch claiming a person needed to add more batteries because they were dumping excess power often (but they never run the batteries low). Don't know if he really beleaved that or just trying to sell extra batteries the person did not need! Never beleave anything a sales person says, if you don't know yourself already and it involves buying something get a second opion or more! The sales person actually got mad at me when I asked him what they should do when the extra new batteries reach full charge and the power started dumping again because it was not being used. He got mad but did not have an answer either.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:37:10 AM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 08:15:07 AM »
Well I started that big post about 4am and got done about 8:37 am :(

Well, yes I got busy with other things and it sat awhile here and there, and there were other new post in that time.

"There are commercial windmills there and

I've been tracking wind speed for about 9 months and it looks good there."

That plus your adding a bit of solar so if you read that big post, I think the 3day battery bank should be good for you. Hope that big post provided helpful info on various things.

I agree with Wooferhound, that does not sound like alot of power you'll be using.

Unless you have stuff not mentioned that eats more power I think you are well below 300amps per day. My grid powered house normally averaged 17KW a day, at 12V that would be about 1,400 amps. I think that was before I switched to CFL lighting, was running big aircompressor, lots of tools, electric dryer, well pump, electric water heater, fridge, and a chest freezer etc.. Did I mention 3 computer systems with 17' monitors and all the stuff that go with that like scanners, printers, speakers...

1,400 amps would be a ton of battery power, but less than 5 times your estamated usage and I was running all that power hog stuff! Also agt least 2 large floor fans 24/7 all year, cooling in summer (and window airconditionare) and moving heat in winter. A 6 month billing period daily average was 17KW.

I don't know what you are planning for a wind genny, but you may want to think about an inverter and stay with electric for stuff like the fridge and power tools. I don't know what propane is there right now, but here it jumped about $1 higher per gallon this year than it did last year at least, it will only be getting worse too eventually. I am glad my only propane device is the gas stove, I may add a propane clothes dryer also later, but I will mostly use the electric one. I hate electric stoves though! I'd survive on cold canned foods before I would use another electric stove I think.

If you have the free wind power and a genny to make use of it why bother buying propane for a fridge or running a propane genny for power tools etc... unless maybe you already have the fridge or installing a small wind genny.

If you can use the wind for it I would stay with electric for everything I could, inverters have gotten cheap. I paid about $500 for my AIMS 5K inverter and it runs everything 120 volt I ever want to run. Smaller ones are allot cheaper too of course, maybe $100-$200 now for around 1-2K inverters. Paid $25 plus tax for a 450watt about a week ago.

If posible myself I would use all the wind power I could and try to only use propane for the gas genny backup if needed.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 08:15:07 AM by nothing to lose »

sahlein

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:13:47 AM »
The idea of the wind/solar backed up by the propane is basically what I want.

I plan to use the small mill, lathe and welder off the propane genny... which won't be that much after the construction is finished.

I haven't really settled on what my electric power load will be just yet.

I chose 25 amps leaving plenty of room for "unplanned" appliances.

Don't know what it will take to run the "swamp cooler" yet either.

The fridge/freezer is a very important item.... perhaps a separate battery/inverter system just solely dedicated to that only?  maybe...??

I think that I may end up with three "sub-systems"... one for lights, computer, radio.  One for fridge/freezer and one for heating and the "swamp cooler"...

Thanks for the input,

Joe S.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:13:47 AM by sahlein »

sahlein

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 11:23:32 AM »
Wow!.. There's no way I'll ever have that much of a power requirement!

I'm still working on my requirements as this will be a new construction.

I did forget the well pump in my reply to the other gentleman... my oversight.

I'm beginning to think that separate battery banks is the way to go using the "subsystem" approach.  Maybe I could switch from bank to bank rather than using a "dump load"???  If I run basically solar/wind, I could probably have a PLC monitor and do the switching and just use the propane genny to "top off" whichever battery bank that is "in need" from time to time?

Any comments?

Thank you for your reply,

Joe S.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:23:32 AM by sahlein »

sahlein

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
I appreciate your input... That's pretty much what I was looking for... meaning how much I should provide to cover the "self-discharge" part of the equation.

Thank you,

Joe S.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:29:12 AM by sahlein »

Gary D

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 11:34:09 AM »
 Joe, my thoughts on batteries used to be similar to yours. However, the most cost effective use of lead acid batteries is a 50% max discharge rate (thanks Victor). The battery chemistry only allows bulk charging up to 80%, then battery voltages rise more rapidly due to a need for a slower topping off(so I understand). You would have (need) a dump load to waste much of your power if you only went to 25% discharge. Five strings of trojan L16p's (10 batteries total for 12 volts) would give you about 900 amp hours @50% Thats 3 days reserve (recommended for non industrial use)

For what it's worth... Gary D.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:34:09 AM by Gary D »

DaveW

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »
Dual batteries make a lot of sense in your case. One at 12 volts for direct power, one at 24 or 48 volts for the rest, maybe a direct connect from generator for hog loads like welder and such.  One thing to mention, a year or two ago saw a swamp cooler converted to 12 volt operation, a bank of 12 volt fans from pc power supplies and a 12 volt pump. I tried it at my brother's house in west Tx and it works.  A double row of fans (8 in all) and a pump comes out to less than 50 watts, beats the 350 watts the store bought model drew.  Just be sure to look for a low head, low volume pump to keep the amp draw down.  This was an Aussie idea if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:47:52 AM by DaveW »

sahlein

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
Thanks Dave,

I thought seriously about building my own swamp cooler, just gotta look into it further.

Joe S.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:00:01 PM by sahlein »

sahlein

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks Gary,

My 8 day reserve is a WORST-Worst case planning situation.  I realize I will probably never go that long.  The 25% discharge level comes from the same plan.

Thanks,

Joe S.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:04:00 PM by sahlein »

nothing to lose

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 01:19:43 AM »
 Depending what you have for a lathe and mill you can probably run those on an inverter also. I have ran my Lathe/mill combo off my 5K inverter fine. Also a 110V wire welder.

My only limit was how many batteries were available and state of charge because I was running it portable in the back of a box truck. As long as I have the battery power available I have never found anything the 5K inverter could not run (except a digital clock does not keep correct time) Aims 5K cost me $500 a few years ago, don't know exactly what they cost now.

I have thought about using extra battery banks as a dump load also for a genny. Many ways and reasons, like charging an electric riding lawn mower :)

Main battery bank for those items that must always have power, fridge and freezer maybe a light in the kitchen too. This bank would always be the first to be fully charged anytime there is enough wind and also have it's own inverter the correct size for the loads. Once this bank is charged dump the power to an extra battery bank that powers less needed heavy power items, coffee pot, microwave, etc... Then of course a real dumpload on the system for when all batteries are fully charged. I can do without the Microwave, coffeepot, crock pot, toaster etc... for as long as needed if that bank is running low for a few days, no problem as long as the fridge and freezer bank is full charge. Somewhere in there comes the rest of the house also, maybe all as part of the second system or maybe a third system for the electronics, TV, VCR, Computers etc...

Another nice thing about using more than one bank and several inverters, if anything ever happens the inverter for the fridge/freezer fries you can always pull the other inverter from the second less important system till you can get a replacement. I would use an inverter on both systems big enough to run the Fridge and freezer in case I ever need to swap them out.

Also if you want to shut down the system for some reason, replace cables or batteries, just plug fridge into second system while working on the main one. So many ways to do things, One large system for everything, or a couple smaller systems for various uses, just depends how a person wants to build it, lots of options.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 01:19:43 AM by nothing to lose »

scottsAI

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
I messed with stacking fans, series / parallel.

Found one large slow speed fan works much better and quieter.

You must be choosy picking the fan. Many inefficient fans out there.

GM has a PM blower motor in several of their high end vehicles.

This blower is very efficient in slower speeds.

I have a shallow well 64', with water 8' from the top.

I was able to buy/use a RV water pump ($46 shipped), has 200w motor. (For back up)

40psi at 2.5gpm, runs the shower just fine. Many pumps only have 150w motor. Took a while to fine the 200w.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 01:22:34 PM by scottsAI »