Author Topic: Making sense of Battery voltages  (Read 1225 times)

Shadow

Making sense of Battery voltages
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
I've been messing around today charging a battery bank with the new wind turbine. The batteries consist of 8, 6volt 180 AH, Tel.com bateries.(Lead calcium,as opposed to lead acid).I have them configured for 48 volt, and these are just a set I got for free I used to experiment on.I drained them down so my starting voltage was 47.9,then started the wind turbine, In just no time the voltage rises up to 56-57 volts,and todays wind was seeing 16.9 amps.So if I leave things as they are, within 15 minutes I'm seeing 60 volts going into the battery bank. Is this acceptable? I usually get nervous and hook my 500 watt halogen line in parrallel to absorb some of the voltage. By doing that I get the voltage down to about 52-53 volts. I know the batteries are supposed to hold the voltage down, but in my case I'm seeing bubles after just a few minutes of charging,and the voltage keeps on climbing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:51:05 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Alloys
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 02:18:41 PM »
I think you will find they are lead acid.  Calcium is used in the alloy on the plates to make them harder. I have been told antimony was used previous to calcium.  In the mid to late 60's battery manufacturers chnged the alloy and "maintenance free" became a buzzword.

I might easily stand corrected on this as I have never fully researched this myself and only relied on industry folks I trust on the alloys.  Sulfuric acid is still used in all lead batteries to the best of my knowledge.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 02:18:41 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Nando

Re: Making sense of Battery voltages
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 03:14:48 PM »
Shadow:

The batteries are used and you need to "rebuild" them, this is exactly what I have been assisting a fellow in the west coast of Canada with his 3 strings of 24 volts 395 amps that were going to the dump in short order.

You need reconstruction and you will need a hygrometer and a DVM voltmeter to do it

The EKV ( Equalizing Knee Voltage) may be around 2.48 to 2.51 volts/cell, the way to determine is to take charging voltage readings at 0.1 volts steps with a charger with carefully adjustable output voltage and read the reduction in current and at certain voltage drop you starts to see a drop in current.

The charger can not be set as constant current source or the reading will be not shown.

All the lead batteries are LEAD ACID BATTERIES no exception, some have antimony, some have calcium, ETC.

You need to limit the current to 20 % of amp-hour and keeping a good temperature track and stop when the temp reaches > 115 F .

Replenish water as needed, discharge to 1.75 volts/cell and do the re-charging up to 3 or 4 cycles maximum, you should stop the cycles once ALL the hygrometer readings reach 1265.

Then charge the battery to 2.4 volts/cell then when the current lows to about 4 to 6 % of amp-hour switch the charging voltage to 2.3 V/cell that for a 48 volts is going to be 55.2 volts = = float charge voltage.

Once a month recharge to 2.48 v/cell to keep the equalization UP and to "reduce" the sulfation, stop when temp = 115 F.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 03:14:48 PM by Nando »

finnsawyer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:39:43 AM »
Looks like this could be put in a FAQ.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:39:43 AM by finnsawyer »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:18:04 AM »
I failed to add:

Normal usage should limit the discharge to 50 % maximum -- OR 2.00 Volts/cell

Nando

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:18:04 AM by Nando »

whatsnext

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
Even if your batteries were new you would be charging them at a C11 rate when your mill is dumping 16.9 amps into them. Since your batteries are not new they may have reduced capacity and you are therefor charging at too high a rate. You really need to determine the state of your cells to make any real sense of charging patterns. You really need bigger batteries if you're going to take the unregulated road.

John...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:05:00 PM by whatsnext »