Author Topic: Any one Tried to build a Home Brew Version ? (flywheel Storage)  (Read 1813 times)

barn606

hello,

Seen these on my travels, any one tried a home brew version ? ie to store couple of kw hours instead of the 500 kw + these things are designed for ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

http://www.activepower.com/index.asp?pg=technology_flywheel_vs_battery

sounds dangerous but a large flywheel off an old lister or something might do the job ?

just thought i would share

thanks

barn606

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:14:28 PM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
(flywheel Storage)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:28:08 AM »
i like the idea of magnetic bearings , would be something worth investigating.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:28:08 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

asheets

Re: Home Brew Version ? (flywheel Storage)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »
When I was younger, my parents owned a laundromat equipped with with a scary device called a "Bock Power Extractor."  Basically, it was a giant 3 phase motor direct driving a tub full of wet laundy (about 20 lbs).  Start it up and let it run for about 3 minutes, and you could suck about a few gallons of water right out of the load.  When it got up to speed, that thing was going at 1725RPM.

That thing always scared the %^&*% out of me, especially when the mechanical braking system quit.  When the brake didn't work, that thing would spin for a half-hour or more with the power off (and, because the lid unlocked when the timer stopped, some fool was liable to stick a hand in the unit to stop the drum).

Anyway, my father figured out that he could bring the thing to a stop fairly quickly if he put 2 legs of the motor through a big old dump load.  Got lots of sparks, too, if the relays were even a bit misadjusted.  And, every once in a while, the stainless steel containment shell would get a big-old dent if the load should get too unbalanced or the wobble bearing on the axle let go.

I'd be willing to bet that that thing sucked up a lot of electricity starting up -- not that we cared because back then the power company didn't meter us for 3 phase from the pole (very few people knew what to do with it, was their thinking, so it was an absurdly low flat rate).  I'd hate to think what we would have paid if we were metered on the Bock -- and I doubt we would have gotten great efficiency out of it if we had tried to recover some of it off the dump load.

Every time I hear about flywheel storage, I get nightmares about that old Bock blowing up in my face.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:45:55 PM by asheets »

dinges

Re: Home Brew Version ? (flywheel Storage)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »
Same here.

All this talk about flywheels gives me the shivers. Then again, I get a bit nervous around pressure vessels too. That 200bar Argon tank in the garage for TIG-welding. <shiver>

Sometimes I think some people haven't got a clue what kind of forces they are (want to) mess with.

Somewhere on otherpower.com (I think) are some pictures of flywheels that have desintegrated. Impressive pictures.

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:00:12 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

dinges

Re: Any one Tried to build a Home Brew Version ?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 05:07:43 PM »
An important parameter for a flywheel is the max. RPM it is rated for. I don't know what it is for that Lister, but I'd definitely not exceed it.

And exceeding it is seductive, since energy stored in a flywheel is E=1/2 Jw^2 (J=inertia moment; w=angular speed (w=2*pi*freq))

So, double RPM and you get 4* the energy stored. Exceed design-RPM (by too much) and all that energy will get released at once. Don't think wearing a hard hat is going to do any good, in that case.

Flywheel energy storage can be a good idea, but be aware of the forces you are getting into.

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:07:43 PM by dinges »

dinges

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
If you feel like making some quick calculations yourself:

Ekin=.5*J*w^2

w=2*pi*freq

freq=RPM/60

J=m*R^2

(J=moment of inertia)

(m=mass of flywheel, at rim)

(R=radius of flywheel, at rim)

Ekin=kinetic energy stored in flywheel

1kWh=3.6 MJ (3.6*10^6 Joule)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:16:03 PM by dinges »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »
Safe Rim Speed. Heavy rim solid cast iron flywheels. Up to 15' in diameter. 6,600 feet per min. As listed by the Fidelity and Casualty Company on New York. Joe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:44:39 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

commanda

Re: Any one Tried to build a Home Brew Version ? (
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 02:18:39 AM »
I just forget offhand who it was, but at least one major multi-national cancelled flywheel storage research after one blew up & killed several employees.

Amanda

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:18:39 AM by commanda »