Author Topic: Reconditioned batteries  (Read 3175 times)

thesoundman

Reconditioned batteries
« on: June 03, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
Reconditioned batteries

I'm a new member today and this is my first positing, I hope that I am doing it the right way.

I am currently using Trojan 105 gulf cart batteries. There about 6 years old and I need to start looking for batteries to replace them soon. I can't afford to pay much; can some tell me if reconditioned forklift batteries are an ok way for me to go? I found some at (www.theonlinecatalog.com/sourcebattery/store/dealeritem.asp?ITEM_ID=3777&DEALER_DEPARTMENT_ID=4

94 ). They want $600.00 for each 24VDC bat. and  $600.00 to ship the two of them. I have a 48VDC system so I will need to of them.  Does any one know if this is a good or bad place to get bats. Or is there a better place to go to?  Thanks' Michael

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 01:08:33 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Reconditioned batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »
I would love to get into some decent fork lift batteries for such price...  'reconditioned' scares me a bit though.  I wish we knew!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:43:22 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Nando

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:10:40 AM »
Michael:

Why don't you tell me about your system, how do you charge your batteries, ( profile and time) what have you done to improve the hygrometer readings if any.

Do it in detail, to see if the batteries can have some extra life.

I have been helping a Canadian to salvage his OLD bank of 3 string of Trojan 105 (1200 amp) 24 volts.

We have raised the hygrometer readings to most of them ( above 1250-75) and saved 2 1/2 strings to give at least another 12 to 24 months life.

Do it in detail.

You can send the info to my email directly.

Nando

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:10:40 AM by Nando »

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
Dan, If you really want some email me. I've offered numerous strings here for about $.10/pound without any takers. Most 'reconditioners' just R&R indivigual cells and then repaint them. Any large city, including Denver, should have someone doing it. If you needed a 24VDC string the guy has a new 1100Ah set he'd sell at scrap price.

John..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 02:03:39 PM by whatsnext »

The Sound GI

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
Hi Nando,

"I tried to email to ( nando37-at-comcast-dot-net) but it did not go through so I am writing to you here."

I am nervous in trying to talk to people about things but I know that will have to talk to people if I am going to learn more then I know now so that I can build a good system.

I wanted to respond to you right away so that I could thank you for writing to me.  I don't know the hygrometer readings of the cells in my batteries. I bought one of those large hygrometer tube type testers that says good/fair/bad, I will look closer at it tonight to get more exact number readings.  One of the things that concerns me a lot is that some of the cells in several of the 105's are using much less water then usually.  I did buy a de-sulfater at the MREA show last year, it was sapost to be a good one, $170.00-?-, it is for 48Volts and 1000amp battery bank. By the way I two stacks of 105's (eight 105's in each stack.  

I've been using two 30amp. automatic shutoff gulf cart chargers.

I have time of use service from the grid for my home. I am completely off grid during peek time using my battery system and on grid during off peek, off peek hours are when I charge my batteries. I've have been using two 48v Tripplite APS inverters. They can only produce what Tripplite calls a modified sign wave; it is terrible, really terrible.

I don't have the money to buy solar or wind right now but I though that at least I would start my system this way.    

I was able buy two GTFX3048 and I'm going to install and program them into my home over the next couple of weeks.  I am also going to hook a really old Koler 1800 rpm that I converted to work on LP gas to turn on automatically just in case the batteries get low, I don't want to use the gen. much because it is almost as costly to operate as the cost of peek grid time, our peek grid time is about $  0.20 per kw.

I know that I said that I was only going to thank you for writing but I've been trying to learn how to do this on my own for a couple of years now and it's so nice to talk to people that know about this stuff.

I'll get the hygrometer readings on the batteries.

Thanks again Michael

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 06:39:20 PM by The Sound GI »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:00:43 PM »
Michael:

Where are you located ?.

To avoid SPAMS, my address is modified, so you need to replace the -at- & -dot- with @ and . to complete the email address -- sorry I forgot to mention it to you.

Don't be nervous, this group is quite helpful, though we may twist some ears once in a while.

WHAT IS "several of the 105's are using much less water then usually" FOR YOU . ?

Be specific and detail it, as much as, possible .

Hygrometer readings are the BEST insurance for GOOD Battery life .

Battery having low hygro readings indicate that you need to charge them for longer time, also if the hygro readings between the cells in a Battery are more than 12 to 15 point differential is best for the battery to receive a good long equalization charge ( some times it may need up to 4 of those equalization charges, one after another.

Can you inform, as well, the battery voltages with at least 2 decimal places of accuracy.

A good quality hygrometer may be good for your system, I will tell you later if so.

I need better description of your charger and the charging profile it may have ( voltages, initial current, and times).

Most of the battery salvage steps are done "UNDER" experience and as well trying different things when the batteries were going dead -- the manufacturers indicate charging but do not show how to "salvage" a battery to attain much longer life.

Tell the costs of the GRID power when OFF PEAK and when ON PEAK (0.20 ).

Also, tell me how much power or energy you use when ON PEAK from the batteries, be as accurate as possible.

The GTFX3048 is a GRID tied converter, why are you suing this model ?.

The 105 2 banks in parallel; are they about 800 Amp-hour total ?.

If so you need a minimum of around 60 to 80 amps charging current -- check me on this -- I may be wrong .

Detail your charging profile carefully.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:00:43 PM by Nando »

wyowind

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:39:04 AM »
i am interested in a large amp hour battery bank for my wincharger 1000 watt generator i can not afford new prices , the 0.10 a pound sounds great i live within 100 miles of denver phone 307 635-7876  ask for tom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 08:39:04 AM by wyowind »