Author Topic: AGM Batteries  (Read 1453 times)

Shadow

AGM Batteries
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:06:12 AM »

I recently became the new owner of this set of AGM batteries. 2 volt cells 24 volt total. Reason they were changed out is because 2 have cracks in the plastic housing, I think you can see in the bottom row. But none have leaked.First question,How would be a good way to fix the cracks? Next question, I used a digital meter to check each cell,they all read 2.14 volts... except one which reads 2.04.How do I get it up to the rest? When I picked them up I was told they were at 70 percent capatance? Then the guy added he didnt believe in that method of testing.So ... without taking hydrometer readings on these how do you test them? How do I add fluid to that one if need be? And do these make good batteries for RE?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 04:06:12 AM by (unknown) »

ruddycrazy

Re: AGM Batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:32:22 PM »
Hiya Shadow,

The easiest way to load test agm batteries is using say a 100 watt light bulb and put a multimeter on the terminals and check the voltage drop. Now with agm batteries theres now way I know of to topup the electrolight as the batteries are sealed. As far as fixing the cracks fiberglass would be perfect or just use some arildite and some sort of glass matting. Anyway the battery bank looks a beauty and if the load test works out you'll have a good set of batteries.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:32:22 PM by ruddycrazy »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »
Ooooh, those are very nice!

There's a guy on the Outback forum who bought a set of AGMs and is very happy with them. He claims observing improved charging efficiency over his old flooded bank. Plus he never has to equalize them. Here's the link, you've got to scroll through a few pages to get to the part where he bought and started using the batteries.

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=848

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 05:52:00 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

hgp

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »
There is some good information on agm batteries at wind-sun.com go to section on deep cycle link look for battery faq.One way to test sealed batterys is to measure the resistance with a meter that has megohms it will show the varations.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:56:23 AM by hgp »