Author Topic: Edison Cells  (Read 1241 times)

Rabrsniver

Edison Cells
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:22:59 AM »
I ran across a set of old Edison cells. (A10s - 375 AH)

I am curious on how to charge them properly, and how many to use. I have a 24 volt system and have a Trace 4024.

Some things I've read say to use 20, others 19.

I also have a number of Trojan L16HCs. I know they behave and charge differently than the NiFes. But I am hoping there is a way to use both sets somehow. Maybe a master disconnect switch so I can go from one bank to the other. But then there is the problem of how to change the charging profile all the time, without having to go out and switch the settings each time the charging cycle starts.

I am also curious as to how deeply to discharge the NiFes without damage. I have heard that they are almost "bulletproof" as long as the plates aren't exposed. But I want them to last, so I don't want to abuse them.

I would appreciate any suggestions I can get.

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:22:59 AM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Edison Cells
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:31 PM »
Parrallel a 2nd charge controller set for NiFe batteries. You didn't give enough info to say what your system for charging is, so it's kinda hard to suggest anything else .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:57:31 PM by jimjjnn »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 01:25:18 AM »
Yes I think you will need to run them separately.

Your inverter will most likely only accept 18 cells at full charge and would likely prefer 20 near full discharge so you will have a bit of fun.

You really don't need much of a charge controller as far as the batteries are concerned, but you will need something to prevent the inverter shutting down on over volts.

Probably with the maximum number of cells that the inverter will accept on full charge you will not be able to drag them down far in capacity before you trip on under volts and that will limit your discharge. You could try to play some form of end cell trick like the old lighting plants, but that is messy.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:25:18 AM by Flux »

Rabrsniver

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »
I guess I left out some important info. I have 4 165 watt Sharp panels, an MX60, and a microhydro that Nando helped me with.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough sun at our location to do much good, especially in the winter. That's when the hydro is running though. But the hydro depends on rain runoff, and that is inconsistent too.

So our real charging comes from our propane generator, unfortunately. I'm trying my best to limit generator run time, but given our site, you do the best you can with what Mother Nature provides.

The reason I want to use the NiFes and the Trojans is to provide enough storage so the generator isn't starting every day. My wife is tired of hearing it, and I'm tired of feeding it propane!

We do get a lot of wind in the winter, so I'm looking into wind generators too.

John
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:46:47 PM by Rabrsniver »

jimjjnn

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »
If I were you, I'd go with wind as you seem to have it when needed most, In the Winter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:58:21 PM by jimjjnn »

jimjjnn

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 07:07:17 PM »
Sounds like you have all the equipment except the extra charge controller for the Ni-Fe batteries. Not sure how I would tie the Ni Fe into the system as far as inverters etc. Maybe use them for lighting, small tv, radios and such. Use the flooded lead acid for the big loads washer,refrigerator/freezer , vaccuum and any other intermittent loads.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:07:17 PM by jimjjnn »