Author Topic: Homemade Lead-Acid Cells?  (Read 7190 times)

mtbandy

Homemade Lead-Acid Cells?
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:40:22 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had ever experimented with building their own lead acid cells, or any other kind of usable cells for that matter?

It probably wouldn't be very practical, but I have a couple of fairly large 12v SLA batteries that are completely dead, and a bottle of battery acid. I thought about taking the batteries apart to retrieve the plates, and then using them to build my own 2v wet cell into some kind of plastic container, just to see if it can be done. The only thing that I can't figure out is what to use between the plates! I wonder if some kind of fabric would do?

Apart from the dangers, I think it would be all good fun, building more than 1 cell would be a pain so I would probably build an efficient boost converter to get a usable voltage from the single huge 2v cell.

Andy

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:40:22 AM by (unknown) »

Nothing40

Re: Homemade Lead-Acid Cells?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:55 AM »
Some info on lead-acid batts here..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~weza/

I once talked online with a fellow who was making small saltwater cells.He said he could get a few AH capacity from a string of small ~1-2 cubic inch cells.

I was thinking of making a few large cells,from 3-4 foot lengths of pipe (copper and galvanized?),tube-in-tube design,inside some 4-inch PVC pipe to hold each cell.

The cells produce ~0.5V each,so you'd need ~24 cells for a 12V system.

In short,he thought I was crazy,saying the capacity of such a battery would be "extremely enormous".(He was estimating up to perhaps 2000AH(!),depending on the exact details.) And it would no doubt weigh alot,one filled!

I forget exactly what he was using for electrodes,But he said electrode material can make a large difference in performance/capacity. Copper and Zinc could be a good start.

The only problem is corrosion of the electrodes over time.

I was thinking of storing the battery dry,and only filling it (with salt+water) when it's needed (in emergencies,etc.) and draining/rinsing it out before putting it back into the shed.

Saltwater isn't a huge hazard to wildlife,or groundwater,etc. so disposal/storage isn't a huge issue.(Still want to mind where you dump it though.)

Of course,if it's been used alot,it may turn kinda greenish or something..Depending on the dissolved metals/chemicals it contains,you may need to be a little more mindful when disposing of it.

But atleast it's a cheap/easy to get electrolyte.

Something like a (much) larger version of this:

http://dragonet.com/fhp/

Just a random thought I had.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 06:01:55 AM by Nothing40 »

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
This is kind of weird.  If these cells are so powerful, why don't we find them everywhere?  Is this another one of those "Urban myths"?  Attention Mythbusters!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:59:05 AM by finnsawyer »

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »
GeoM,

Please don't take this as rude, But.

If you read the second link http://dragonet.com/fhp/ Nothing 40 posted you will see why. These are NOT batteries, they are generators. Through cemical decomposition of the electrodes. So they are good for emergency power, but not for our storage needs.

Gordy

ps. N-40 thanks for the links.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:08:02 AM by Gordy »

wind4Reg

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:10:20 AM »
Here are the specs from the EnviroGen site. Not sure why they felt it should be hidden in the source code for the page:

12V Voltage (no load)            approx. 12+V

Voltage @ 4 Watts            approx. 10 V

Amperage                     approx. 400mA

or

Voltage @ 8 Watts            approx.  8 V

Amperage                     approx 850mA

Power (per single set anodes)  approx. 40+ Ah

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:10:20 AM by wind4Reg »

asheets

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
I made a couple of 2V cells out of lead and acid when I was younger.  Nothing, really, to it.  Thinking back on it, though, if I had managed to increase the surface area I used, I would have gotten a lot more amps out of it.  I wonder how difficult it would be to make a heatsink-shaped frame out of lead that would work over a long period?

There was this guy (too busy to look up the URL) that used to have a link on otherpower.com's main links page (I think it got pulled because he was into over-unity crap) -- he had built himself a really nice hydrogen generator with 50 6x6 stainless plates seperated by 1cm apiece.  Imagine the kind of battery you would have if you replaced the stainless with lead and filled the case with batt acid/water instead of lye/water.

Anyway, here is a link I found on the subject --

http://windpower.org.za/batteries/batteries.html

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 02:05:52 PM by asheets »

finnsawyer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:35:14 AM »
So, why didn't N40 say they were generators.  I generally don't bother with links when a posting seems to be off the chart.  It's the old story of not providing enough information to start with.  If you're going to consume the electrode maybe aluminum is better.  That's been discussed before.  No help to GM here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:35:14 AM by finnsawyer »

cyplesma

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »
I haven't tried making any batteries yet, but I do have this ebook I found somewhere on the net (if you haven't seen it already). It describes how to use PVC pipe, aluminum cans and copper pipe with clorax or bleach or something maybe it was ajax mixed with water. I don't have the ebook here at work.

The book does state the copper and aluminum do corode very quickly, but Like I said I've only read through it once or twice, thought about it, but haven't tried it.

I think one might have better luck melting the lead into a pipe form and mounting that into a pvc pipe. and use battery acid that way. series the pipes together. Probably like the optium batteries that have six round cells instead of rectangle plates (keep in mind I've never taken any battery apart, put I have several I'm getting ready to. I've been thinking about the same thing, how to make several uniformly.

with the pvc pipe option could make them deeper (then optium) I would think (in theory) that would increase amp hours. Of course you need to check the difference in thickness of the starting battery plates and deep cycle plates and keep your plates in the same ballpark for the deep cycle, assuming your planning on using them for amp hour usage as opposed to starting capacity.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:10:47 PM by cyplesma »

shmuu102

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »
please post that ebook for us when you get a chance...

thanks

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:05:02 PM by shmuu102 »

cyplesma

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
trying to do the link

<HREF="http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/4112/ebook_free_energy_homemade_batteries.pdf">

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:42:30 PM by cyplesma »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:35:36 PM »
cyplesma;

You need to change that drop down menu below to "Auto Format" and your links will be made links by the software. It is down below between "preview" and "post" if you go into your preferences you can make that the default setting which actually works well for me. My guess is yours is set for "Plain Text" or it would have looked different.

Below, I just pasted in your url without the quotes and http stuff tho and it becomes a link. Pretty easy no code knowledge needed.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/4112/ebook_free_energy_homemade_batteries.pdf

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:35:36 PM by TomW »