Author Topic: AGM's - Initial Charge ...  (Read 5329 times)

arc

AGM's - Initial Charge ...
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
This is the latest addition to my humble little UPS and AE system. (Actually more of an experiment and hobby, I'm certainly not saving any money ... but it is a lot of fun)

By using an Iota DLS-15, a 15 Amp charger with the IQ4-smart charge adapter, I hope to have the three-stage charging necessary for maintaining my AGM storage.

Has anyone used an Iota DLS-15 or similar, Iota charger and have any opinions on these?

My storage will consist of (2ea)(8AGC2), In-Series, 6V-200Ah AGM Golf Cart batteries (for now). I've never used AGM's but from what I've read, they should be a heck of a lot better than my Walmart, deep-cycle marine's. They should at least hold a charge better during peroids of inactivity and last a while as long as I use the right charger and charge control.

Any advice for breaking-in the new AGM's? (Initial Charge tips ...?)
Other than 3-stage charging, what do I need to do to get the AGM's to 100% SOC?

The supply side only has 37 watts of solar and a PM conversion that is in need of new blades (my next project). Eventually, I want to have ~150-200 watts solar and a 50-100 watt genny. Both of these are (and always will be, I'm afraid) marginal, at best, to maintain storage, so I definately need the charger (grid) to keep it all alive.

I have two permenantly wired circuits in the house that distribute 120AC from my 1250w inverter, so I'm pretty well set there for my UPS.
Wind is sporatic here with trees around and cloudy days are the norm here, not really a viable AE system but fun.

(I'd like to try a Mini-3 Phase Axial Flux in the future, as time and money permit)

Thanks,

Arc
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 06:05:37 PM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: AGM's - Initial Charge ...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:38:18 AM »
Find your batteries data sheet and follow their directions. Do not guess or compromise.  Most AGM or VRLA batteries wish to be treated more like gel batteries than lead-acid. Here is excerpt from the instructions for the AGM tele-com batteries I went with.

Charging Batteries are shipped at approximately 95% capacity, and will attain 100% capacity after 6 months on float charge. Batteries must be maintained on float charge and should be fully recharged within 24hrs after any discharge. A high rate charge may be used to speed up the charging process, but only after a discharge. High rate charging should last for 6-8 hrs. maximum, then all batteries should be put back on float charge. All charging must be at fixed voltage.

• Float voltage: 2.25 - 2.30 volts/cells
  • High-charge voltage: 2.31 - 2.35 volts/cells; Above 2.37 volts/cell batteries may emit hydrogen gas; Average ambient temperature : 77 °F (25°C)

Source: http://www.powbat.com/pages/default.aspx?pageid=53

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:38:18 AM by DanG »

arc

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:20 PM »
Thanks Dan, I found the MK (manufacturer) data sheet.
Just unfamiliar with AGM's so didn't know if I need to do anything special other than put them on a good 3-stage charger.

The charger I ordered should be fine (and I will follow the mfg. instructions for batteries to the letter), not sure if a 15 amp is the best here or not but I think this charger has what it takes (control-wise) to meet the Bulk/ Absorbsion/ Float requirements for these batts.

Guess I'm a bit nervious, I fried my Walmart "Deep Cycle" (ya-sure) Marine batteries.
My RV charger cooked one and I'm trying to revive the other with my Walmart Everstart 2/10/50 charger. I think it's a lost cause there.

I'll just re-read the specs and monitor them closely 'till I'm sure that the charger is doing it's job.

Thanks,

Arc
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:02:20 PM by arc »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »
Arc;

Kinda late getting to this, but here's the website that basically wrote the book on batteries and their care and feeding.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

This should help.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:38:20 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

arc

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »
Great Stuff Bruce!

Thanks for the link.
I think I looked at this site long ago, but with new batteries it's just what I needed.
I didn't have the link any more and it's a good one.
It's one thing to read the manufacturer's recommendations (and necessary, for sure) but to get an independent perspective is also very usefull.

I just recieved my new charger Iota DLS-15 and in a few days will receive my batteries (2ea. MK 6V 220Ah AGM's).
I want to know everything that I can, so that I start off with these right and keep them in optimum conditions so they last as long as possible.

So far I've learned that AGM's are rather touchy when it comes to charging Voltage and Amps and that it's better to discharge them as little as possible and recharge them as soon as possible to get the most cycles out of them.
The more I know about the characteristics of these batteries, the better I can care for them.

I wasted my investment on the last set (Walmart Everstart "Deep Cycle" Marines) because I didn't monitor them constantly and I didn't have a charger that would provide the attention that they needed. I relied on an RV charger that is obviously not a "Smart Charger" and paid the price, (Two $50+ batteries that I got very little use out of.)

I learned that with the right charger, and of course additional power supplied by my wind gen. and solar, I can make them last a lot longer if I make sure they are "topped off" constantly. Hopefully, the charger won't have to work too hard when I get my wind genny back in service but it will insure that the batts. are kept fully charged.

Thank You,

Dave (Arc)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:07:06 PM by arc »

arc

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »
Wow,
I reviewed the site and couldn't find a thing on AGM's.
There was some discussion of Lead Acid, SLA's and VSLA's but nothing on AGM's.
I was a little surprised by this but perhaps the article is old enough to not be up to speed on variations on the SLA.

Guess I'll keep surfing to find more articles specificly relate to Glass Mat batteries.

Lots of good stuff there on my laptop batteries though.
I appreciate the link as it's a great resource for many types, just not much if any on AGM's.

Dave (Arc)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:53:35 PM by arc »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »
Arc;

You're right the other link has nothing on AGM's. We own one of the bigger testers of thiers, so I sent them a request to possibly update the website.

Here's another link.

http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/marinebatts.html

It's for marines stuff, but my neighbor who owns a boat repair shop uses this site and assures me their info is right on the money concerning battery info.

He's never had a failure using their information. Says their tech-support for other stuff is too expensvie for his shop but ....

Hope this is more of what you're looking for.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:34:34 AM by Bruce S »

arc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
Hi Bruce,

This is helpful, Thanks!
These guys are also located right here in Washington state which makes them somewhat nearby. The info that they provide on AGM's is right in line with several manufacturers/distributers of the 8AGC2.

My Iota DLS-15 w/IQ4 charger has a Charging Phase Voltage Charge per Cell of:

Bulk Charge 2.46/ cell       = 14.76V (6 cells)
Absorption Charge 2.36/ cell = 14.16V (6 cells)
Float Charge 2.26/ cell      = 13.56V (6 cells)

East Penn, the manufacturer of the (8AGC2) 6V 200Ah AGM recommends: (at 60-70°F)
Optimum Charge = 14.45 - 14.75V (6 cells)
Optimum Float  = 13.55 - 13.85V (6 cells)

I doubt I'm going to get much closer than this, so IMO, the charger should do pretty well with these batteries. I don't think I can adjust the Voltages but in my case that might actually do more harm than good anyway.

I got my Iota charger a couple of days ago, the batts. should get here in a few days.
Now, I just need more solar panels and to get my wind genny blades fixed so I don't need to use the charger much ...

... more neos, bigger conversion, larger windswept area, taller tower, more wind ...
... it's always somethin'.

Thanks for the link Bruce!

Arc
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:02:54 PM by arc »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:25:23 AM »
Glad to help;

So I guess you saw their nod to the "Show-Me-State" remark;--)

It was meant to be a funny, but the good 'ole boys in the Ozarks didn't take too kindly to it:--)

If you go there in person, tell' em bill of Doc's Marine in St. Louie says hey..

"...it's always somethin'...yep but AIN'T it fun (:->

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:25:23 AM by Bruce S »

arc

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »
Well, the AGM's and charger arrived.
I took out the old Marine Deep Cycle's ... cleaned up all connections and put in the fresh batts. Got the Iota charger mounted on the wall and hooked up to my DC panel.
Plugged it in, plugged in the Iq4 3-Stage controller and it flashed 6 times (as it was supposed to) and that was it.
Not much to it ... but I do believe the new charger will take good care of the batts until the wind and solar get more of the charging done.

The new batts were well charged when they arrived so the charger went straight to Float mode. Voltages are right where they should be according to the charger and battery manufacturers. It's sweet when things work as they are supposed to.

I think I'll add a good Amp-Hour Meter to the system to monitor conditions.
I was checking out the Trimetric 20/20. It seems to be the only one that is at all affordable. Any experience with this model?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 07:43:46 PM by arc »