Author Topic: Diesel engine glowplugs  (Read 1874 times)

BadNIMBY

Diesel engine glowplugs
« on: March 31, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Hi all

This is just an experiment and I was wondering if anyone has tried this before.

The glowplugs are need 95watts at 11 volts and about 8.5 amps.

If this is obviously a no go please let me know

Thanks

Will

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:57:34 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Diesel engine glowplugs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
THAT is a NO go.

Do not do that, you will burn them soon.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:01:37 PM by Nando »

BadNIMBY

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
Ok thanks Nando

consider the bonfire extinguished by urine...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:38:19 PM by BadNIMBY »

Hilltopgrange

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi Will

Nando is correct if you intend to use them in a heat sink or in air. I have used them successfully for a couple of years and never had a single one burn out yet! The trick is to use them as water heaters as per the pic below.

You can also connect them in series for 24v as per the pic. Just add as many as you need

I no longer use this as a dump load as I now dump through the inverter to 240v ac water heaters with a solid state relay and Omron time delay. But I keep it as a stand by. I had a runaway one very stormy night , a fuse went on one of the turbines during a big gust and I was able to use this to shut it down. I don't like shorting out a turbine in full flight never mind a runaway ! by shorting it through the dump it slowed it right down and then stalled it and allowed me to replace the fuse. Maybe not the best way to do it but it worked.

On another occasion the relay I was using to dump stuck in the on position and completely discharged the battery bank, but it still didn't burn out any of the glow plugs and they had been on for hours.

One word of caution though be careful with your choice of glow plug there are a few that have a built in thermostat avoid these and you will be fine. Another problem is getting a matching thread tap they can be tricky to get. I used VW plugs which are 12mm Fine. (same as there wheel nuts!)

There is lots of ways to mount them in a manifold, I simply cut a length of inch box section and welded VW wheel nuts to the sides and a couple of pipe fittings to the ends. The manifold is just inserted on a pipe from a beer keg filled with water. I have on occasion seen the water almost boil in the keg

Its a Cheap dump load if you have the glow plugs! But more importantly it works

I hope this is of some help to you

Russell

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:08:45 PM by Hilltopgrange »
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
It would be nice if my posts stopped getting deleted.

As Im trying to say Id think they would burn out due to them not being designed for continuous use.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:10:52 PM by AbyssUnderground »

thefinis

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 04:55:45 AM »
I would have thought so too as I have burned out many by just holding down the contact button for a few seconds too long. It is the high temp that kills them melts the element so I guess a water bath keeeps them cool enough not to melt.

Most of the ones I have seen were too high new to use compared to elements made for water heating. Might be good if you could get some cheap enough off junked motors.

Finis

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:55:45 AM by thefinis »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »
Hey all

I have a couple that work from my engine when i had to change mine.  got a box full of old heat sinks so will be trying this for sure.  I cant see any problem using them all the time so long as any heat generated is got rid of quickly.  My thinking is they sit in a diesel lump that gets very hot so its not heat that mucks them up, its not being able to get ride of the heat. i.e holding them in air.

Just my thinking

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:10:05 AM by Jon Miller »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
If you apply the full 12v you will almost certainly have to water cool them for any decent life. If you de rate them then you may manage with good heat sinks but heat transfer to the sink will not be very good.

It is indeed a question of keeping the heating wire below melting point, the internal heat transfer through the oxide insulator is not brilliant so you have to keep the sheath quite cool to take the full rating. Some of the cheap replacement makes just will not stand it.

For heat sinks I would run 2 in series.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:06:55 AM by Flux »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »
Do NOT use them in a drinking water application.  B-)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 03:58:48 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

BadNIMBY

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:37:56 AM »
Thanks all, my interest in them has been rekindled.

It will be for heating water so Ill give it a go and see what happens.

Will

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:37:56 AM by BadNIMBY »

cyplesma

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
if doing this causes the water to bubble are those bubbles of hydrogen being created?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:35:30 PM by cyplesma »