Author Topic: Another Battery Question  (Read 1289 times)

wind pirate

Another Battery Question
« on: April 20, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
I have come about several 12V x 40AH SLA batteries used to drive motors on medical equipment. They equipment has been end of lifed, but they have relatively new batteries.

I can't give any specifics about the batteries like part#'s or mfg because there is a label covering them from GE med systems.

The company that has these is trying to get rid of them and they have discharged them by connecting them to a 4 ohm resistor till dead. Then they short the terminals and put them on a pallet.

My question is that at this level of discharge, is it possible to bring them back after sitting this way 30 days or so? I don't want to haul a bunch of junk to my house just to have to dispose of them.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

WP

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:46:24 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Another Battery Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
Specs: 12V 40AH SLA.

Rant:  What a waste.

They are near perfect when removed from medical equipment.

No idea if they are salvagable.

You need to offer "The Dude" $5 each NOT to do that, but to call you instead.

G-

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:37:37 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
WP;

If they were new when they did this and they are still this way...

My Answer is offer the guy $1.00 for the lot, you might have the possibility of bringing back 1/2 of them more than likely none of them. having the metal bar on them has wasted them.

RANT!! what a waste, I work in the medical business and there was no reason to ruin these by doing this.

If these are the Units I think they are, they did not even need to do this as the equipment would've discharged the Batts themselves, that is/was one of the problems with this type of equipment!!

End of RANT

One thing you might get to do is go see the batts, and take a small meter, remove the bar and test them any kind of volatge swing above 5Vdc will tell you that one is saveable, you could also do a Ohm test that'll tell you how ruined these may be.

SLAs have a certain internal resistance , if these were stored with the bar on them they should then read near open circuit with the bar removed.

Get a chance, smack the guy who ruined these:--)

However, if they have the motors for these unit there too, then offer to take the batts if they will let you have the motors, they will either be 180Vdc 30Amp PMs or 220V 3 phase units.

There were some that were 120V single phase but only saw 2 in 10 years..

Hoope this helps

Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:24:48 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:24:03 PM »
"smack the guy who ruined these"

Smack him twice.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:24:03 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller