Author Topic: Used SLAs on eBay  (Read 1454 times)

mtbandy

Used SLAs on eBay
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
Hi all,

I found a seller on eBay who has quite a variety of large SLA batteries, and I wondered what you guys think. I'm after something for my small 12v, 50w (currently) solar system. Capacity wise, I'm aiming for about 200Ah but that isn't critical at this time.

here's the list

I'm currently looking at getting either 2 or 4 of the Yuasa 6v, 160Ah batteries and running them in series/parallel for 12v, or 2-3 of the Yuasa 12v 86Ah batteries and running them in parallel. Edging towards 2-3 of the 12v Yuasas a the moment because they are cheaper, but the 6v ones do look nicer! Any comments would be welcome, I'm not sure on the other brands so I haven't considered them. Also, all of these batteries are 2 years old, and have been used as backup supplies. I assume that means they have been kept charged in UPS units, so should still be working to almost full capacity?

I'm thinking of driving down next week, but it'll be over 300 miles round trip so I just wanted to make sure it'll be worth it.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:21:20 PM by (unknown) »

mtbandy

Re: Used SLAs on eBay
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:08:45 AM »
I'll be a bit more specific...

The SWL series are cheaper, but they appear to be for standby only use. In the datasheet, they do not give an actual amp-hour rating, but insted a wattage/cell for 10, 5 or 3 minute discharge. Will these be suitable for very shallow cyclic use, by that I mean less than 10% depth of discharge per day?

If not my other option is the Endurance series. These are 'long life standby' batteries each rated at 6 volts, 160Ah.

For roughly the same price, my options are:

1. Ah Yuasa 'Endurance', daily cycling with 12.5% daily DOD
  2. Ah Yuasa 'SWL Series', daily cycling by just 7.8% DOD

What would you choose? I'm edging towards the larger capacity bank at the moment, for future system expansion and the occasional powercut. I would like it to last at least 4-5 years if possible.

I have uploaded booklets on the Endurance and SWL series below. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't end up wasting my time and money.

http://www.abrownson.f2s.com/10183/batteries/EN%26ENL_Series.pdf (PDF for Endurance series)

http://www.abrownson.f2s.com/10183/batteries/SWL_Series.pdf (PDF for SWL series)

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:08:45 AM by mtbandy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »
I don't care much for large sealed batteries for heavier use.

"Standby" is fine, but I've had far better luck with wet batteries for daily use.

Locally, UPS uses sealed batteries in the delivery trucks.

They change them all every year to avoid trouble.  Most are not up to snuff by then.

G-

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:24:03 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

mtbandy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:10 AM »
I'm pretty much confined to using the sealed ones at the moment, as they'll be in my bedroom. I thought if I shallow cycle a large bank, it should last me years - hopefully by the time they've worn out I'll have my own place off grid and be able to upgrade to wet cells :-)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:42:10 AM by mtbandy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »
I use SLAs in the house too.  Small ones, under 30AH.

I don't charge them fast, or past 13.75V, and they seem to be happy.

G-

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:19:03 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller