Author Topic: This battery any good?  (Read 1210 times)

robo1955

This battery any good?
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:40:25 PM »
First post

Looking to get started with some storage and found this battery on e-bay. Seems to be the best Ah per hard earned but am not sure it is the correct type for my needs. Saw it slated in another forum - the figures look 'right' to me though?

Soon will have 100 watts of solar and up to 8 amps 12 volt from wind, If I get near the plan specs. The solar will be added to over the winter as time to build allows. Will initially run a hydroponics unit 24 / 7 in a greenhouse - about 5 to 10 watts plus some low wattage lighting in the garage.

Would this be a good starting point to allow me to build some experience and to add to as needed ?

Thanks

Robo

Why IS dyslexic so hrda to spell!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:40:25 PM by (unknown) »

iamdewayne

Re: This battery any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »
I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how long you want the battery or batteries to last.

I got lucky and got four 6 volt forklift style batteries for almost nothing.

Sure, they wont do 8 hours work in a forklift anymore, ( thats why they got rid of them )  but I dont have a forklift to put them in anyway. They weigh about 350 pounds each but I can expect about twenty years life out of them so it was a good way to go.

For a smaller system, look at plain 6 volt golf cart batteries.

Not alot of money to buy them with and they will last along time if you dont over discharge them.

Stay away from any battery that lists 'cca'  ( cold cranking amps ). They arent true deep cycle.

Luck,   Dewayne

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:14:39 AM by iamdewayne »