Author Topic: Small Fridge Math - Help please ! :)  (Read 7420 times)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Small Fridge Math - Help please ! :)
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
I get the idea this isn't going away.

I uploaded a photo of what I am talking about.  It works perfect.  Might need more battery capacity this winter.  Even just before sun up, the batteries were never below 12.6V.

It doesn't look like that now, because it wasn't finished when I took the pics.  

Cleaned up the wiring, added a MPPT controller, battery box, etc. but that's it.

It isn't in the requested specs though only 60K, so just a link.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/SolrFrzrJD.jpg

I never seem to take pic's of anything pretty.

G-

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:45:17 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DigitalMind

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »
Heheheheehehhehe.... Your funny Ghurd, maybe the picture diagram will help persuade my sister.  Do you have a picture of setting up WAY to many panels and a gazillion batteries and maybe hurting yourself in the process of setting it up just to run a regular small fridge by any chance ???  

On a serious note, I really appreciate all the help you've given me on this subject Ghurd (And EVERYONE ELSE ofcourse!), I've told her she has NO CHOICE but to get the 12volt fridge because of all the headaches i DON'T wanna have getting the proper inverter and such.   She doesn't really like the Chest fridge idea though for a number of reasons, but i'm still trying to change her mind on that part.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:40:13 AM by DigitalMind »

wdyasq

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2007, 10:23:15 AM »
DigitalMind,

Here is something I plan on building but, am in no hurry to construct. Working on a few assumptions, one going to need an inverter anyway, a few AC loads that there just aren't DC  options, or maybe something else. Lets just call it 'Basic Inverter for The Control of Home'.

This will be a device to control the inverter and loads. It could be any of several controller chips, PIC, PICAXE or other. The inverter is 'wired on' with this device telling the inverter when to come on. We will use a freezer, refrigerator and water-pump for our scenario.

The controller is 'sleeping'. It wakes on a time-interval determined by climate and observation. It reads freezer temperature and decides the freezer needs cooling. It then turns on the inverter and the freezer. It runs the freezer until the proper temperature is reached. It then looks at the refrigerator. It does the same for it. Finally, it looks at the water level and decides if water is needed.

At all times it checks battery voltages and has set points where things must be done 'manually'. There will be times when battery voltage is high - and one might take the freezer to a lower temperature. This might be done automatically when everything is 'topped off', water and refrigerator, and the batteries are still full. On the 'other  end', when there is not as much voltage, the controller would go into maximum conserve mode and the freezer temperature might go up to -5C/20F and the warning lights would tell one the refrigerator isn't being kept as cool as one might care and the rest of the 'bad nuze'.

I do plan on building one of these for my home/shop. However, I am on grid at this time and have little if any need for it. IF I lived off-grid or on a boat, it would be high on my list of necessities. It will allow for less draw as the inverter will never be on when except when using power and should allow a smaller inverter as the loads will be controlled such that no two devices with starting loads are on at the same time.

Ron

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:23:15 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »
Hi Ron,

I have a couple ideas about that, if you'd care to converse.

No PIC or PICAXE.  More brute fet force.

G-
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:52:01 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DigitalMind

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
Danb... This is pretty old and no one will probably every read this, (including you) but your line about women coming with Kwh/Month ratins and giving then Energy star ratings was just too funny I had to add it to my list of random energy quotes that appear on my website at techienation.com ... I put you as the Author, just wanted to let you know ...  :)

Take care !

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:51:15 PM by DigitalMind »