Author Topic: Battery terminal protection  (Read 9150 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Battery terminal protection
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
Over six months ago I experimented with silicon spray as a terminal protector (against corrosion) on one bank of my aging batteries.

I did not break every connection and do a complete clean, but am impressed with the results.

My question is (thank god or this should be a diary entry) has anybody else used silicon spray as a terminal protector, and what results did you achieve.

allan down under

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:17:10 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Battery terminal protection
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »
I had trouble with corrosion 10 years back

I tried those Felt Anticorrosion Washers that go onto the post before the Metal connections.

It made a big difference and I have used them since that time.

started out with felt washers that were red & green, I think it's all the same on eather color. The ones I'm using now are both Dark Grey. I have heard that some people use Vasilene Jelly. From what I've been reading, corrosion is caused by the gases escaping from the battery and ventilation helps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:26:59 AM by wooferhound »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:33:21 AM »
i use that stuff that comes in the spray can you get at the auto parts store i have had the same can for years works great it is like a red lacquer coats the connections keeps the air out. only problem with it is if you have to hook up battery charger crocodile clamps to the battery you have to scrape through the lacquer to get a good connection  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:33:21 AM by kurt »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
I have some red spray stuff that doen't dry.  Stays kind of like an oil.

Seems to work OK.  Messy.

I like the red & green felt washers.

G-
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:55:09 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »
I have used a thin coating of hi temp grease with fair results.  Worried about the flammability a bit, but not enough fuel to do much should it ignite, nothing flamable around, and no problems yet.  Rich
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:31:04 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

zeusmorg

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »
 Having worked on autos for years, and re-conditioning batteries, my advice is to properly clean your connections and then use the felt washers, These absorb and neutaralize the acid.

Either sandpaper, or steel wool works fine for cleaning, also you can buy a terminal cleaner which is handy if you maintain a lot of batteries, also nice to have in your maintenance kit is a battery filler which can fill to the proper level and always use

distilled water. Both can be purchased at about any auto parts store. Tap or well water contains minerals or chemicals that may shorten the life of your battery.

If you do wish to coat your terminals, do not use something that is non-conducting and doesn't dry. If you use something like silicone or grease, this can seep between the clamp and terminal causing no contact at that point raising connection resistance. I spray mine with any paint I have around.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:10:04 PM by zeusmorg »