Author Topic: 2v or 12v batteries  (Read 6712 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
2v or 12v batteries
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
I plan on buying batteries this late summer for my main power system and would like to know what the major advantage or disadvantage is over 2v batteries, 4 volt batteries, or 12v batteries? The loss of one cell in a 12v battery ruins the whole battery. But over all once used 2 volt batteries say for 2 to 6 years with one going bad would there be a major problem with adding a new battery to your system? I am trying to justify the $$ spent on each. I'll have a 24v system. Two banks with a single battery for light power when servicing the main banks (older Trogen age unknown). Alot of the things different companies say as they advertise for the best system for being off grid sound nice but I would prefer exsperence over paper pictures and words. Looking back into the older comments some liked the 2 volt for easy replacement in their system but the difference $$ compared to some of the 12volt to me may not save dallars over a 12 to 20 year period. If I maintian the system it should need replaced about the same time I leave this old world to the off grid world beyond. Just asking for some input.  Thank you.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:28:25 PM by (unknown) »
MntMnROY 13

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 2v or 12v batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »
I think every battery manufacturer has the best product if you believe the literature.

The best of the good old 2 volt Plante cells are tried and tested for nearly a century.

The only problem is that I am not so sure that modern cells are built the same way. Much of the modern use is not concerned with cells that you can be sure to last 20 years, they are much more concerned about self discharge, lack of maintenance and convenience of handling.

The biggest single snag with 2v cells is that you have lots of links to keep clean and corrosion free. Using multiples reduces this problem. Using VRLA instead of flooded cells mostly solves the corrosion problem but although they have advantages for certain types of use, I don't consider them to be worth the extra cost and the associated charging fussiness.

Ultimately I think that you will get what you pay for, the 2v cells or traction batteries will be very expensive and may not have the highest charge/ discharge efficiency but will last far longer.

Don't buy batteries intended for float duty, they are lots cheaper but most are not asked to do more than a few discharge cycles in their life ( if you ask they won't do it).

Despite the hype and claimed modern advances I don't see that batteries are any better than 40 years ago as far as life is concerned, they are better as regards self discharge and ease of maintenance, cleanliness and convenience and that seems to be what most users want especially the big users that dominate the market.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:48:08 PM by Flux »

antw

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »
I went with 2v cells so I could have lots of capacity (1300AHr) without having parallel strings of cells.  I have a 24v system so I have twelve of the 2v cells in series.  You would have to parallel at least four strings of two 12v batteries in series to get the same capacity, if using 12v 300AHr batteries.

If you don't need the high capacity then the 12v batteries may be a cheaper way to go in the long run.

Antony

Off-grid 17 months

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:34:22 PM by antw »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the comment. I have figured out what I need for today but I am trying to figure out about what I'll need in 10 years. I am still debating on getting a ham radio with all the modern electronics being built today a ham radio might come in handy when the satilites get knocked out with a solar flare or some radicial group wipes out the power grid in the USA. A good groupe of 10 people could destroy 2/3 of our nations power system easily with just some planning. No power for a week in the big cities would make a mess. 24 hrs later with most of the cell phone running out of battery power what would all the teenagers do? Really go and talk to someone face to face.  What do you use on the battery terminels for protection?  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:03:37 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

antw

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
The Exide batteries I have came with interconnection cables and flexible plastic covers  that go over the terminal post and end of cable.  No corrosion problems yet.

Antony

Off-grid 17 months

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:24:06 PM by antw »