Author Topic: 4 Trojan batteries for free today :)  (Read 1594 times)

ZooT

4 Trojan batteries for free today :)
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:38:03 AM »
Today I was working with the shop engineer making parts for him so he could rebuild some machine, and back in his area I saw this pallet with 4 big red batteries on it.

I asked him about them and he said that they were pulled from  service recently as part of routine maintanence, and they they were for "The manlift", and he said they were still "good", but that he was told to call the scrap guy to come get them..

Well I asked if I could have them and he told me I could.....but to get them out before someone complained and he was forced to scrap them...

Well anyways......I don't know what they are other than they're Trojan namebrand, have three white caps(6 volt?) and that they're 11" long x 7" wide x 13" tall, and they're too heavy for me to carry more than 20 feet or so...

Tomorrow when I can see better I'm going to clean them up and bit and see if I can find any model designation on them.......

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:38:03 AM by (unknown) »

ZooT

Re: 4 Trojan batteries for free today :)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:26:36 AM »
Update:

I brought one inside and on the side there's a big label that says they're J305G 6 volt deep cycle batteries rated at 285ah@20hr or 255ah@5hr...

Opened up the caps and the juice is above the plates....so far so good :)

Geez.....if these things are "good" like I was told, I might have just saved myself a few hundred bucks........and I'll be able to make coffee and run lights at the same time 8^P

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:26:36 AM by ZooT »

bigdan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »
Good score! New they are about $400.00 bills each. Very good indeed!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:19:00 AM by bigdan »

snowcrow

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:16:36 AM »
 Nice score!!! I wish I could find deals like that!!

Snow Crow

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:16:36 AM by snowcrow »

CmeBREW

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
Wow,,, that almost sounds like it was a 'gift from above' or something!

Are you sure there wasn't some strange lights shining down on the pallet of batteries??

I wish something like that would happen to me! Instead, a few days ago I just paid full price for a couple of golf cart batteries at SAMY's club, and when I got them home realized they were the WRONG voltage (8v instead of 6v) and thus the WRONG batteries.

I took them all the way back and it turns out they had the wrong batteries in the shelf because the brand new golf cart batteries were out in the center of the room without an ID label.

Nobody was there to help the first time, and all those batteries don't have any voltage or Amphour label on the top of them, so its difficult to know if your getting the right battery.

Hurt my back lifting them so many times without a carry strap.

So it is good to hear a happy battery story for a change!!  -Good score...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:07:55 PM by CmeBREW »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
What's the voltage at currently?  How about the specific gravities - and how well are they balanced between cells?

If you're really lucky they were treated well and just brought out of service equalized and fully charged.  But you'll want to get a charger on 'em PDQ and bring 'em up and run an equalization cycle so you stop any further sulfation.  The sooner you do that the more capacity you'll have when you put them into service.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:21:23 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »