Author Topic: I bought a used battery bank...  (Read 1707 times)

TheUnknownCat

I bought a used battery bank...
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:46 AM »
I am the proud new owner of six horribly abused Trojan T-105 batteries. They were bought new, five or so years ago, and allowed to go without charging shortly thereafter -and since. It's a shame, they still LOOK so nice.

Has anyone had any luck with Resurex or any of those rejuvenation products?

These batteries were in a 1976 Cushman Titan. The guy put the new batteries in it and once his kids got tired of playing with it, the Titan was parked in his garage, after only a few months use.

It's a slick old Titan, it has a rounded cab on it. I didn't buy it for the batteries, I intend to yard out all of the electric gear and stash it for some time in the future, when I have time to build a light-weight electric trike that has been rolling around in my head.

I intend to street the Titan, (crazy things like that are still legal in the Great State of Oklahoma,) and while it would be cool to street it as an electric rig, it is too heavy to be viable. I intend to swap it over to a motorcycle engine, and use it for local heavy hauling and beer chasing. It's capable of a 3000 pound load.

I figure if nothing else, the batteries can be used as cores for a new bank.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:14:46 AM by (unknown) »

TheUnknownCat

Re: I bought a used battery bank...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:54:54 AM »

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:54:54 AM by TheUnknownCat »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:46:33 AM »
you might think about using propane instead of gas in case it sits for any length of time.Looks like a fun project.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:46:33 AM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

brokengun

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
That little truck rig there looks AWESOME. What did that used to be? Looks like it had some good metal on it too, should be easy to modify/work with. Please post some good pictures when you're done and if you can afford it, give that girl a little paint!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:01:03 PM by brokengun »

WineGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
I haven't tried any chemical products yet, but I just ordered some EDTA to try with my desulfator (pulser).

The pulser by itself has worked to reclaim about half of the free batteries I received, but I still have some problems with low SG in some of the cells, hence the EDTA.

The best batteries to attempt to reclaim will have 10 volts or more, and not bulged (frozen). You should also have a simple (dumb) 1 amp battery charger. Neglected deep cycle batteries like a long slow charge. Don't even think about an equalization charge until you go through the charge/discharge cycle a few times while checking the SG.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:11:40 PM by WineGuy »

TheUnknownCat

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
The truck delivered mail back in the '80s on the Oklahoma University campus in Norman, Oklahoma. It's a shame that it was mucked up with the poo colored paint, it used to be white. A trip to the sand blaster is in order, once the new engine mounting is figured out.

I haven't done anything with the batteries, except remove them and set them in a corner of my shop. They kinda break my heart, but oh well.

Batteries seem to be covered up in as much BS as windpower, as far as available information online. I did manage to find some old instructions on making your own SLA batteries though, published in the 1920's. Has anyone found themselves clever enough to attempt that? I am sure that building a battery to optimum efficiency could be a booger.

I will pick out one of the batteries and see about it's SG and put it on a trickle charge to see what happens, although I am not holding out much hope.

Why is a "10 v or better" battery a better candidate for rescue?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:25:46 PM by TheUnknownCat »