Author Topic: submarine batteries?  (Read 6830 times)

greenkarson

submarine batteries?
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »
talked to a guy on the phone havent seen them yet but he says he has several 12 volt 8-D 225-255 Amp hour submarine batts about 150lbs each he is asking 250$ canadian  apeice is this a fair price? And are they idea batteries for my 100 watt hydro aquair turbine? will they work fine in seris for 24 volts? anything else i need to know?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:45:12 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: submarine batteries?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:23:03 PM »
Submarine batteries are pretty special ... for many reasons. They also probably (if main propulsion on a manned sub) a bit larger .. might need to add a couple of zeros to the end of the weight of an 8D battery.

Now ... I have batteries out of the lunar lander .... of course they just LOOK like standard lead acid.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:23:03 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »
rofl i think what Ron is trying to tell you in his own special way is that someone is blowing sunshine up your butt...... D8 size batteries are usually starting batteries used in heavy equipment like bulldozers and stuff like that not submarines.... but anyway thank you for the belly laugh it felt good......
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:14:23 PM by kurt »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »
His submarine must be tiny!

They are often called a "bulldozer" battery.  Farmers call them a tractor battery.

I do not believe they are true deep cycle, but they are heavy duty.

Some people use them.

Google Group 8D Battery.

Price seems a bit high. (the same US$ money at Sam's / Costco will get twice the battery in T-105 equivalent 6V golf cart batteries)

The generic "225-255 Amp hour" rating makes it sound like he does not know what he has.

If daily use of 25% is about 60AH, and charging is about 3.6A, then the size is about perfect.

G-

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:16:12 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
8D batteries are starting batteries as stated, and do weigh in at about 150lbs

or so, and probably do sell new for around 250bucks

it is doubtful that they would be of use to you in an AE bank

and i certainly would not pay the guy for a used set, or a set that has been on the shelf very long, even for starting purposes.

sounds like hype to me, buyer beware

bob g

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:21:25 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

spinningmagnets

Re: (sub) marine batteries?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
I googled MARINE battery 8D and got lots of hits, probably what he meant.

Same way my wife listens to me, when I say "we cant afford it" she hears "If I buy less of what I want, she can get more of what she wants"

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:42:18 PM by spinningmagnets »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »
Careful!

Your wife may read this!

G-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:31:10 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:35 PM »
Actually there are batteries even in nuclear boomers. They can't everything run directly from the reactor.

http://yarchive.net/mil/submarine_battery.html

10,000 amps hours at a thousand amps.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:24:35 PM by dnix71 »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »
Trust me my friend...I am safe!

She is the family psychiatrist, and since her sister is going through a divorce and her single adult daughter is having her first grandchild...she is spending more time on the phone than a Hindu customer service telemarketer selling credit cards, mortgage refinancing, extended warrantees, and assisting Microsoft Vista users.

I'm waiting for them to start selling an "amazing new VAWT!!" thats paid for with the coming green tax credits.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:01:49 AM by spinningmagnets »

SteveCH

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
Some yr ago I had a friend whose dad worked for a recycling co. He'd gotten hold of a set of submarine batteries.  I don't remember how heavy they were, but each one required a forklift and were way, way heavier than 250 lb. I mean, the guy had to take out part of a wall in the room he put them it to get the forklift to come in, and the forklift could only handle one battery at a time [or so he told us]. A set of them took up a large portion of this room.

So, I seriously doubt these are sub batteries, unless sub's have a set of "small" batteries for some specific purpose [emergency radio power or whatever] which I doubt, Plus, they are huge capacity, many a/h though, again, I don't recall how much.

Someone is either confused, was himself tricked, or trying to trick you.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:47:35 PM by SteveCH »