Author Topic: GNB 2130aH Batteries  (Read 2105 times)

LazyMtn AK

GNB 2130aH Batteries
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
Hey All Good Day and My first post.

Picked up 12 GNB NCX model batteries. I have six 2130 amp hour, three 1680 amp hour and three 2080 amp hour units. All six of the 2130 amp hour have good specific gravity and voltage. The three 1680 are same, but two of the 2080 have lost their acid and require fixing. The oldest battery is only 2005.

My question is...Can I use marine grade expoy/resin and fibre glass matting/cloth to  fix the broken casing or must I use something else? Can I add the 11 or so gallons of distilled water to re-fill them or must I use an additive?

My plan is to make a 24 volt system from these so that my cabling sizes are manageable. And I plan to add a de-sulphur device.

Any other advice is appreciated as I am a NOOb.

Pierre

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:51:17 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: GNB 2130aH Batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
According to Exide's MSDS available here:

http://www.exide.com/material_safety_data.html   the case is polypropylene.

There is a 3M adhesive made specifically for poly propylene and ethylene, and similar plastics that cannot be joined with conventional adhesives.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesives-DP-8005-Plastic-Adhesive/dp/B000LDLD5C

It's not exactly cheap, but its the right tool for the job. DP 8500 is also considered "structural" (the weld is at least as strong as the surrounding material).

If the battery has lost acid and the plates have been dry for a while, I'm not sure it's fixable. But if you are going to try, then I would start with distilled water, then after charging, check the S.G. and add acid only if you need to. If the battery was discharged before it leaked and it will actually recharge, then you won't need as much acid.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:20:45 PM by dnix71 »

zeusmorg

Re: GNB 2130aH Batteries
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »
 One thing i noticed is you're going to end up with mis-matched batteries in your bank.

It is possible to maintain such a bank but you will want to separate them somehow.

It's always a good idea to match your batteries as close as possible within specific banks.

I suppose the way I would go about it would be have your 6 2130's in series of 2 then paralleled in 3. then have a dump controller to charge your next bank which would be 2 of the 1680's in series. Then dump into the last bank of mis-matched batteries.

I have seen no proof that using a desulphator on a constant basis lengthens battery life.

A well maintained bank, that is checked on a regular basis will probably outlast all the ones that had desulphation systems added.

You may want to read up on the care of lead acids in the F.A.Q. section. Also these so called "battery additives" can do as much HARM as help, I've seen a decent battery ruined by such procedures.

Tips on refurbishing a battery.. 1st add DISTILLED water to cover the plates, and a tad more. then do a slow charge until it has reached the maximum voltage (sitting) and the highest S.G> it will take, then add acid (slowly and carefully) to get the S.G. up to full charge level, Cycle the battery several times to see if this has rejuvenated it. then top off to max water level. DO NOT let your water level go below the tops of the plates EVER! That kills batteries faster than anything else. Also don't place too much hope in fixing a leaking battery. Make sure you have it sitting in a catch pan that can retain the acid that will leak out, have plenty of baking soda on hand for cleanup. Let me tell you a single drop of acid in the eye is REALLY painful! and can cause serious vision loss. ALWAYS wear eye protection when working on batteries.  

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:07:37 AM by zeusmorg »