Author Topic: Max Battery Charging Voltage  (Read 4776 times)

paulrogers6

Max Battery Charging Voltage
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »
Dear All

I understand that if I wish to charge a 12V battery bank with PV I need the PV to output about 18V.  Why is this?

Also at what point will charging the bank with a higher voltage damage the batteries (if at all)?  Eg if I have a PV panel with an output voltage of say 36V at its rated power output will this damage the batteries?

What is the "driver" when charging a 12v (say) battery bank? Voltage? Amperage? watts?

Thanks

Paul

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:34:40 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Max Battery Charging Voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:56:16 AM »
To fully charge a 12 v battery you need about 14.4 v. If it is a wet battery then you will need to equalise it occasionally to near 15v so your figure of 18v is reasonable.

Bear in mind that the actual battery voltage is temperature dependent and the panels are even more so. If your panel can make 18v at 20degC it will not make this at the temperatures in full sun on a hot day.

Most 12v cells have the peak power point about 17v under working conditions, most make about 21v off load in cold conditions.

There is no limit on input voltage with a current source such as solar, the battery will determine the volts and the panels determine the current. With a mppt controller you needn't worry, high voltage panels will be matched to give full power with an increase in current.

Without mppt you are limited by the panel current ( virtually its short circuit current) so by using grossly over voltage panels you are throwing away useful power.

If you used 2 x 12v panels in series it would do the same thing as one. If you connected them in parallel it would give twice as much.

If you are direct connected and you want to use higher voltage panels you can do so but with a loss of power compared with their rated output at correct voltage.

Regards panels as a current source, it's their short circuit amps figure on the label that gives you most idea. You will get close to it if matched reasonably.

The wattage rating doesn't mean much, you will probably never see it as the insolation figures are high for the makers test and the test is at a panel temperature of 25C. If you get the insolation figure it will raise your panel temperature above 25C. You may see close to it on a bright cold frosty day.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:56:16 AM by Flux »

paulrogers6

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:48:39 AM »
Hi Flux

Many thanks for the prompt reply.  Can you just confirm what mppt (as in mppt controller) stands for/means?

Many thanks

Paul

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:48:39 AM by paulrogers6 »

rossw

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 04:23:25 AM »
google is your friend. It'll explain it in much more detail than anyone here is likely to go over again, and again, and again.

Very briefly, "MPPT" or Maximum Power Point Tracking, is a technique used to extract the most usable power from a source such as a PV array.

A typical panel might be rated for 5 amps (maximum) and 21 volts (maximum). The uninformed would say "21 * 5 = 105 watts" - the problem is that 21V is at no amps, and 5 amps is the peak the panel can deliver. "Typically" it will deliver maximum at something like 17V, but your battery isn't going to permit the panel to deliver current at that voltage.

The MPPT controller will adjust its input to take a its current at a point where that current times the voltage the input will deliver it at, delivers the maximum WATTS.

An MPPT controller is sort of like an automatic transmission in a car - it allows you to match the power from the engine (panel) to the wheels (battery) in the optimum way. (Only an MPPT will typically have at least 256 "gears")

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:23:25 AM by rossw »

paulrogers6

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »
Rossw

As you say - "google is my friend" (tried it and found the answer!!).  But thanks for the reply and info any road :-)  Much appreciated.

All the best.

Regards

Paul

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:04:12 AM by paulrogers6 »

Tink

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
I've installed 3 big Crown forklift batteries in three different locations for solar use and they are the only way to go. I have only used new ones but have considered getting a 'remanufactured' one from this link:

http://www.burkhandling.com/remanufactured%20batteries%20and%20chargers.htm

I've talked to these people on the phone and they sound very ligit. They offer a 6 month warranty. Their prices are like a 1/3 of wholesale. They tell me they replace any bad cells before they offer them for sale. Most of these were only in service for 2 years. The Crown 12-125-13 I use are 24 volt and 935amp hour at the 20 hour rating. They have a 7 year warranty when new. Remanufactured is $1,343 and new wholesale is $3,307.

For what it is worth:

Tink

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:16:34 PM by Tink »