Author Topic: Auxilary battery bank  (Read 2759 times)

MattB

Auxilary battery bank
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

For about 6 years, I've been living off what was a nice set of surplus phone system backup batteries. They are huge and heavy...probably about 3000 pounds worth, 1400 amp hour 2v cells all in series for my 24v system. But, they are sealed gels, and I've rather abused them, they have gotten quite weak. I've been worried.

Then, a couple months ago, I got a call at the office.. a local fellow had built an electric using these 170ah 8 volt golf cart batteries. He had used them for about two years, estimated about 500 light duty cycles, and decided he wanted to switch to sealed batteries for safety concerns. I was, of course, skeptical.. but, had to look. I only checked a couple of them on site, and both measured right about 8.3v, and they'd been off charge for over a month. So, I loaded them (yes.. all 18 at once) in my Volvo (poor car) and took them home.

Upon getting them home, I put them in an outbuilding until I could build a new battery bank adjacent to my existing battery/power room. That was two months ago. Every weekend I had the time to build my new battery box, the weather was lousy or I had to play golf or get firewood or what have you... priorities, you know.

Finally, last weekend (in another snow storm), it occurred to me that I had a lot of square feet of space on top of the huge steel racks that house the old batteries, so I simply made a platform on top of them with 2x6 sections I'd gotten off Craigslist a while ago.. they were actually already cut to the perfect size, and in no time, I had all those batteries moved and in place.

New batteries in place atop my old batteries.

Yesterday, I commenced to hooking them all up. Plan was to hook both batterie banks to a knife switch so I could switch them, manually.. if one is full and it's windy or sunny, I flip a switch and run off the other... First step was to measure all the new batteries, as I'd yet to do that. Now 3 months off charge, and stored in the cold outside... the lowest came in at 8.23v, one was 8.26v, the rest were between 8.29 and 8.32. good enough says I.

We have a large spool of 4 gauge wire, and a neighbor had a bunch of solder empregnated connectors for 4 gauge, as well as some for larger wire. You use what you got, that's what I did. I started by making up 12 cables to tie together groups of 3 batteries each in series into their final 24v configuration. Then, 10 more cables for my parallel connections.

Here, soldering the cables. Nice connectors.. just heat to melt the solder within, stick the wire in and try to avoid molten solder splash.

All batteries hooked up.. came in at 24.78v as a complete bank. Again, that's having been off charge and in the cold for over 3 months.

Hardly a good schematic, but it gets the point across better than I'd be able to describe it.

I know this ain't pretty... I will get it orgnanized. It is quite functional though, and well fused.

When I first hooked it all up, and threw the switch, the trimetric was showing total voltage of 23.9 (with 3 amp outgoing load). After about an hour, still before the sun, and zero wind, the fridge and computer, along with lights, had increased the load to over 12 amps, and the trimetric was showing voltage increased to 24.2. I expect these probably have more than twice the capacity of my old, tired sealed batteries.

I have a good feeling about these batteries.. Of course, golf cart batteries are not ideal, but for the price... I'll take 'em. Out of pocket expense was pretty much just the nut and bolt hardware to bolt the cables on. About $20, and about $5 for the craigslist boards, a little extra gasoline for hauling 1800 pounds of batteries, one old pair of jeans, one shirt, one pair socks (battery acid). Everything else was free, or laying about at somebody's house nearby.

A HUGE thanks to Ross at volt914.com for calling us rather than sending the batteries to the recycle center. They have some life left in them for sure. Check out his EV blogs.. he's got the Porsche 914 project, which is where these batteries came from. He's also working on a Jeep Cherokee EV project. Neat stuff.

Dixie was absolutely no help at all... I can't blame her.. wiring is harder for her these days, as she don't see as good as she once did. But, she didn't even help clean up afterwards. All she wants to do anymore is play with that damn flippy flopper. Ah well.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:25:43 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Auxilary battery bank
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
Matt;

Nicely done! Gotta love those type deals. Especially when it happens in such a timely manner.

Great idea to go vertical. I bet it was a grunt hoisting them up there.

Buddy ain't much use in the shop anymore. either. Come to think of it, neither am I! He is better looking, too:

Thanks for the share.

Tom

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:38:42 AM by TomW »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
Nice Battery bank Matt.

That link was very cool.

Rather than sign up to make a comment there, i thought i might ask it here,

How many miles can he drive on a charge?

Regenerative braking too!

lots of neat stuff going on around the country.

Bill

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:27:22 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Oh my, Dixie appears to be getting a little gray!

I just wonder who is the luckiest  dog, the one in the second picture with the trophy, or the one in the last picture with the flippy flopper!

Nice score, Matt. The law of attraction seems strong in this one!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:06:05 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

MattB

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
What do you call a blind deer?

"no eye deer"

I really don't know.. 30-50 miles would be my guess... as with regular fuel mileage, it all depends on your left foot, along with other basics.. ... I didn't spend much time with Ross.. he seemed a rather busy guy and I didn't want to take up too much of his time.. but, in reading through his blogs, it seems his Cherokee conversion is almost as efficient as the Porsche.. and and it's got 4wd capability... neat stuff.

Tom.. message from Dixie, having read the response.. it's not playing with the flippy flopper.. that's work.. chasing that damn thing ain't easy, you know...

Cheers...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:36:47 PM by MattB »

MattB

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
Dixie ain't done.. she's only realizing her limits...

Luckiest dog.. ah... I think that's a wash.. we're all happy... and with no regrets.

Life is good.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:46:13 PM by MattB »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:10:54 AM »
I never found a range for the Porsche but he did mention 50 miles for the Jeep.

Nice batteries Matt, that looks like a back breaker getting them into that room.  How much longer do you figure the old batteries will last?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:10:54 AM by zap »

MattB

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »
Yea... he figured 400 watt hours/mile for the Jeep, 379 watt hours/mile for the Porsche... 50 miles for the Jeep, so... comparable for the Porsche (I think the battery banks are comparable, if not identical)

My old batteries.. man, I don't know. I'm probably going to hook up my solar to them for a couple weeks... see how they charge up. Seemingly, they are pretty much shot... they can tide me over for a day, maybe two of light use... then again, I don't know when they last saw full charge, so.. they might not be as bad as I think... time will tell.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:13:37 AM by MattB »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »
The Porsche uses less watt hours per mile probably because it is more aerodynamic than the jeep.

Hey jerry ,i have not seen an update on the electric truck, is it still on the road?

I'm sure there are a bunch of new people on here that haven't even heard of it?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:16:27 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

MattB

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Boy do I feel like a dumbass...

So, last weekend, I actually didn't fully get the this system set up fully...  I had gotten the new batteries hooked up, but since the old batteries were pretty low, and at that time it wasn't sunny or windy, I figured I wait to hook them to the other end of my bank switch over knife switch... until I had just a little more time.

All week, I'd been wondering why (A) the battery voltage had come up initially, even with a load on them (B) why all week the voltage was holding steady at 24.5 regardless of what was charging, or what loads were going out, and (C) why my dump load kept kicking in when voltage was only reading 24.5....

Well... duh... The main positive lead for my tri-metric was hooked to the main battery positive of my old batteries (I had made my initial connection at 5am last Sunday morning using a flashlight to see)... so, it was accurately measuring incoming and outgoing amps for the new battery bank, since the battery negatives are tied together (shunt is on the shared negative lead).. but it was measuring voltage of my old battery bank.

In the end, I'm actually glad... that my old battery voltage is and was 24.5, I don't feel as bad about them as I once did.

And, since the new batteries were the ones actually taking a charge all week, I expect they got a nice and well needed equalization charge (which was still being controlled by the diversion controller)

It's all better now... the trimetric reads whichever bank I'm using. I charge whichever I'm using (might make that adjustable down the road, such that I can charge the bank I'm not using, or other)

Of course, the %full and cumulative amp hour features of my trimetric are out the window... but I'll get over that. I've not paid any attention to those statistics in a long, long time anyhow...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:40:16 PM by MattB »