Author Topic: How to weld HDPE  (Read 5175 times)

Guerreiro

How to weld HDPE
« on: July 04, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »
Hello to all,

I'd like to say that this is the third time I'm posting this theme. The first time the posting was active for only one day and I only get one answer, the second time it did not show at all, now will see what appens. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can find what it is.

Any way, the question is:

Does anyone know how to weld toghether two sheets of High Density Poly Ethillenne in a simple manner with simple toolls and not the vey expensive toolls used by pros, or maybe some way to glue it.

Open to sugestions.

Guerreiro

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:58:47 PM by (unknown) »

Frank Lussier

Re: How to weld HDPE
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »
Hi Guerreiro

I work for a window company, the frame of the windows are in pvc, I am sure you can use the same method for welding HDPE.

1. - Heat the part of the two  pieces you want to weld @ 480C (HDPE will be less I'm sure)
  2. - Clamp the 2 pieces together tightly (with a lot of pressure) for 40sec.
  3. - unclamp. the two pieces should be welded

We use a specific welder for this but i'm sure the above method should work without a hitch.

Hope this helps and works for you.

Regards

Frank

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 08:33:38 AM by Frank Lussier »

terry5732

Re: How to weld HDPE
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 09:15:35 AM »
I have used a soldering to repair cracks in HDPE. When connecting pieces this way, the joint is weak and brittle. But this can be used for nonstress areas. You can use strips cut from milk jugs or ice cream pails as "solder" to build up  the joint area. The industrial welders use ultrasound vibration to heat the joint.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 09:15:35 AM by terry5732 »