Author Topic: need research help for water well pump by wind  (Read 6566 times)

picmacmillan

need research help for water well pump by wind
« on: January 15, 2005, 05:53:58 PM »
 a freind wants to be able to pump the water from his well using the wind..does anyone have any posts on building a water pump by using the wind...i am sure this is very common, but i have just completed 2 wind gennies and 7 solar panels, so i have not researched this topic.....do we just build a wind genny and the electricty from this runs an electric pump or is it mechanical.?....if anyone has some do it yourself tips or ideas i am going to try and tackle this project...thanks in advance.....pickster

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 05:53:58 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: need research help for water well pump by wind
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 11:08:06 AM »
Simplest one I ever saw was a old factory built mill (aeromotor?) with a bunch of rods etc, connected to a small hand pump (like the old cast iron ones).

Not pressurised. Not fancy.

Had a hitch pin to disconnect it for hand pumping.

It worked!

G-
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 11:08:06 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

windstuffnow

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:06:51 PM »
  The aermotor mills have been around for a very long time... You can still buy them new as well as parts for your 100 year old model in the back field.  If you look around while driving on country roads there are lots of them still standing, some in dire need for repair.  I've found alot of people will let you have them just to get rid of them.  I've taken down several of them this way.  Usually the babbited front bearing needs to be repaired but the gear boxes are in pretty good shape.  Make sure you can lock the rotor before going up there to disassemble the unit they are quite powerful even in a small breeze.

There are others out there, I believe Whisper makes one for water pumping.  It's based on a generator driving the electric pump unit.  I'm sure there are others that could easily be copied for water pumping...

Have fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:06:51 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:31:33 PM »
Another concept that has intrigued me is the wind powered air compressor pushing a bubble stream at the bottom of the well. Bowjon and Airlift Technolgies make this type but I can't find a direct link at the moment. Lacking a direct link, I'll offer this one http://www.cisolar.com/CatWindPump.htm just to show what they're like.

It seems like a pretty interesting project. If the wind doesn't blow, you could hook the PV panels to a compressor and pump that way. I seriously thought about this type before going with a PV powered pump system.

Chuck

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:31:33 PM by Chuck »

mkseps

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 04:07:14 PM »
I suggest that you contact:

O'Brock Windmills

North Benton, OH 44449

ph. 330-584-4681

email: kenobrock@hotmail.com

These folks can supply the info you need along with all the hardware fixings.  For $2 they will supply a catalog of windmills, parts, hand pumps, aeration windmills and more.

Gene

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 04:07:14 PM by mkseps »

John II

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 05:10:17 PM »
The depth of a well and the height of the water in the well alone with how much water you think you will need to pump per day are some deciding factors in what kind of pump you need.

The old farm windmill will pump in much lower winds then any wind generator. So if you are in a low wind area that's an important factor. They work by a multi blade prop driving a geared down crankshaft which lifts a rod up and down. This rod runs to the bottom of your well in the inside of the pipe. At the bottom of the well it works a ultra reliable piston pump to pump the water. This kind of pump can pump up to 900 feet depths perhaps deeper. Then can also pump from shallow depths.

South Africa If I'm correct ? Produces a windmill that uses a rotary pump that is said to be ultra reliable. I believe it's actually manufactured now in China, but there is an American dealership for it.

If you wind isn't what it should be, you can pump water with the above deep well pumps, but instead of the windmill, you use what's known as a " jack pump" some say " pump jack" driven by a small motor. This can be driven with commercial power or solar power. Because the motor sets above ground, it's easily serviceable.

Here's a museum in Canada that shows most wind mills that have been manufactured over the years, many of which are still manufactured. It's a fun site to re-call the olden days to ; )

http://frontpage.execulink.com/allenmott/Windmill%20List.htm

I grew up on a cattle ranch in Colorado where we could reach minus 40 degs, under total "white out" blizzard conditions. Very severe weather to say the least. The old water pumping windmills are about the most reliable method you can find to pump water through the severest of weather.

The "old farm windmill" as they are often called that I mentioned above can be bought used throughout most of the Midwest of America, The are quite expensive new ( in my opinion. ) But they will last 75 to 100 yrs or more with good care. The well cylinders can be re-built over and over.

Other options are the "Bowjon" pumping methods ( using air compressors driven by wind or pv). My brain is a little rusty, but I think you have to use 100 feet of water in your well to pump 33 feet etc. So how ever deep the water is in your well, it will only pump water to 1/3 that amount above the water line using the bubblier method. Some one please correct me if I'm off on this, but I think this is the math on that. There are several units on the market. And my brother has built the bottom units. I own one right now. The submersed portion is simple to build.

The Amish also manufacture a cylinder that has a float inside of it. The cylinder is submersed under water in your well. A one way check valve allows it to fill with water. When it is filled, the float comes up against the top of the inside of the cylinder and trips an air valve that allows pressurized air to force the water down and out the bottom of the cylinder, and up to the top of the well. This causes the sliding float to fall to the bottom of the cylinder, and it trips a mechanism that releases the air out of the cylinder, and allows it to once again fill with water to begin the process all over again. If you have a shallow well, this method will allow as an example, a 500 gallon tank of air pressurized to 130 psi to have the stored capacity to pump say 1,500 to 2,000 gallons of water. But as the depth of your well is increased, the performance drastically drops off. But this works splendid on shallow wells.

I Own one of these pumps new never used.. Gave about $475.00 for it and never used it because I discovered my well was too deep so need to sell it or trade it off probably.

Then there are 3 phase wind generators direct driving commercial 3 phase submersible pumps. If you have higher winds, and want a lot of water, this is a very good way to go. The pumps are " off the shelf 240v 3 phase pumps" And Whsiper, as well as Bergy sell the wind generator heads. As your Wind machine slowly starts turning, so does the motor in the bottom of your well. Finally as your wind machine reaches sufficient speed, your pump will start reaching the necessary rpms to get the water to the pump. You size your submersible pump with extra stages of impellers, so it has higher pressure. This gives it a larger window of wind speeds that it can pump from. You do not need to worry about burning your motor out with low voltages, because the pump motor's power factor tracks your wind generator's alternators frequency. If you wind plant is just setting their idling in a light breeze, your pump motor will be turning very slowly, but will not be over heating.

There are other pumping systems as well... I covered just a few.

Email me if you wish with the details, and I can give you more detailed information.

I live on a farm, and am not affiliated with any water pumping businesses.

Email: jjones2(at)inter-linc.net

John II

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 05:10:17 PM by John II »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 04:06:44 AM »
1916 engine--was made to pump water--it had linkage to hook up to a standard

hand pump---still runs great........

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:06:44 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

picmacmillan

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 04:26:29 PM »
cool stuff....i am going to email my freind to get more information,but i think these posts just about cover it....we will see what he would like to do....and get started......thanks all....pickster
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:26:29 PM by picmacmillan »

Tippy

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 09:37:43 PM »
got any old briggs motors around?? turn them into an air compressor, and use the are to bubble the water out.  you can find plans on how to build the bubbler pump.  as far as the compressor, you can remove the cam so that the valves stay shut and go with a reed valve as an oiling system, them make a fitting that comes from the spark plug hole and run a line from there to the bubbler in the bottom of the well.  (you could also use an old compressor if you had access) if the motor has thrust bearings great if not you may need to run a chain or pulley set up to your prop.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:37:43 PM by Tippy »

Kwazai

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »

for bubble pumps

this link may help-

http://www.quantumlynx.com/water/back/vol2no2/v22_st5.html

best I could tell from other sites .43psi per foot of depth with at least 60% (some sites 80%) submerged.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 01:58:29 PM by Kwazai »

picmacmillan

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 05:51:24 AM »
thanks quazi for the site..pickster

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:51:24 AM by picmacmillan »