Author Topic: Wood firing a hot tub-spa  (Read 3273 times)

jh

Wood firing a hot tub-spa
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:38:49 AM »
I have an old electric model that the heater went out on.  It was an energy hog anyway.

I was thinking of converting it to wood fired.  The only problem that I can see immediately is that the water coming from the wood fire may be far to hot.  I would appreciate any ideas that you have.

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:38:49 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Wood firing a hot tub-spa
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 05:56:21 PM »
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 05:56:21 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

DERFMOOSE

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »
  good idea try Mother Earth News Issue # 62 nice little story you might be able to use               derF
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:18:45 PM by DERFMOOSE »

pyrocasto

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 06:26:03 PM »
Yeah the snorkel stoves look nice. No matter what you get, I wouldnt worry about the water next the stove being too hot, since water will transfer the heat pretty quickly. Also, for the snorkel it says, "You'll be amazed to find that, even with a roaring blaze in the stove, you're able to reach underwater and touch the stove's hottest parts momentarily without getting burned. Once the desired temperature is attained, the draft is simply reduced and the water stays hot for hours."

I wonder if I could touch it, get burned, and sue. ;)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:26:03 PM by pyrocasto »

LEXX

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 07:11:33 AM »
not now that you said that, lol.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 07:11:33 AM by LEXX »

ADMIN

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 09:18:53 AM »
I have a Scuba, my folks have a Snorkel. All pricey, but worth it! The snorkel is 3 feet high and made for a deep redwood or cedar tub. The scuba is made for a 2 foot deep stock tank, so my tub is an old 6ft stock tank wrapped in Reflectix insulation, surrounded by redwood slats and benches so it looks classy.

Both stoves come with a wooden fence to cover the stove so you don't toast your buns on it. The snorkel will burn ANYTHING at a roar, with the Scuba I have to be a bit more selective and use only dry wood, in smaller chunks. Both stoves really need to burn at a roar to get a decent heating time. My Scuba goes from spring water temps (COLD!) to 105 deg F in about 4.5 hours, on about 3-4 armloads of wood. If its' already lukewarm, it's hot in a hour on one armload of wood. I use a submersible pump to circulate the water, otherwise it stratifies with hot on top. My Dad uses a canoe paddle to stir it. A cover is essential for good heating time, I use floating blueboard insulation panels.

Both stoves have a minimum water level line clearly marked....let the water get much below this, and you'll warp/melt the stove.

Great customer support from the Snorkel Stove Company too!

DANF

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 09:18:53 AM by ADMIN »

Tippy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »
i work in central mexico with the indians, they make old water heaters into woodfired all the time, they work very well.  they also make them out of old tanks propane, whatever, the fire is in the bottom and the vent pipe passes up through the water in the tank there are fins on it to help radiate the heat. the ater supply comes in at the top and exits at the bottom.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 09:00:54 PM by Tippy »

jh

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 07:11:27 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I decided to try a plan that I saw for sale on ebay.

It is basically a brick fire box with a coil of copper pipe with a small pump.  I thought that I might ditch the pump and use thermosiphing.  I would be glad to hear any of your thoughts on this.

JH

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 07:11:27 PM by jh »