Author Topic: water pump queries  (Read 1917 times)

MD

water pump queries
« on: November 14, 2005, 01:37:07 AM »
hi guys,

have not been on in a while, building a house. I have a question, i am running a 3000watt inverter, from 12 deep cycle batteries, and my 1/2 hp water pump will not run off it. Can anyone give me some info on what could be wrong. I appreciate any help i can get. Is 1/2 too much of a load. thanks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 01:37:07 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »
MD,

Folks will need to know these things -

What voltage is the battery bank?

What size are the cables feeding the inverter and what is the distance battery bank to inverter - 'round trip'?

What is the wiring distance to pump, what voltage and what size wire.

What make inverter and what type 'juice' does it produce - modified sine wave or pure sine wave.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:21:00 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Nando

Re: water pump queries
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:25:46 PM »
The starting current may be as high as 6 times the running current.

One needs to check if the battery bank drops when the pump is connected.

Read the wire going to the inverter (at the inverter) to see if the voltage drops below 12 volts.

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:25:46 PM by Nando »

MD

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:24:29 AM »
hi guys,

the battery bank is 12v, the distance from the bank to the inverter is 3 feet using welding wire i think 00gauge. The distance from the panel to the pump is about 38 feet usin 12-2 wire running on 120 i have 12 6v trojan batteries put in series, then paralell does this help. I was also looking at the industrial water pump from shurflo rated at 198 gph on 115v, any comments, thanks guys
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 08:24:29 AM by MD »

maker of toys

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »
Does the pump start in other circumstances-  like from a genset or the grid?  might be a marginal starting cap.

the 12-2 might be a factor, but I think not the only one  Going up to 10-2 might help in situations where there are lots of marginal conditions.

you say the inverter cables are 2/0, which is nominal; you might want to step up to 4/0 or double the run of 2/0 . . . just so the drop across them when the inverter goes into surge isn't a factor. what size are the battery interties? They should be the same size as your output lines.

Someone else already asked, but again:  is the inverter MSW or pure sine?  Modified Sine Wave can be rough on motors and capacitors, so if your motor used to start and now does not, that might be a cause. MSW inverters can also have a hard time starting a motor.  How old is the inverter?  could it have suffered some abuse that has reduced its capacity? How is it cooled?  A hot inverter won't pull as hard as a cool one.

what else is running on the inverter?  do you have a large load?  or is the inverter lightly loaded?  Sometimes with a marginal inverter, calling for a little power before trying to start the pump will get the powerfactor into a place the motor likes better.

In troubleshooting, it's often the case that your first instinct is wrong;  (I know mine often is) So the only way you'll solve such a problem is by rigorous application of logic and the scientific method.  Pick a portion of the system (the motor itself, say) and isolate it:  Does it start on another power source?  Does it sound right?  (no? does it spin easily and smooth by hand?) is it trying to start under load, like  maybe a check valve is stuck open or (rarely) shut? can the pump start with the pipes disconnected? is the pump aligned properly with the motor shaft? has water gotten into the bearings/windings? are the connections in the junction box clean and tight? Is the pump mechanically sound- good bearings, no drag, etc.

then on to transmission lines- the 12-2.  Corrosion on connections? connections tight?  heating anywhere in the line? voltage sag?  will a different motor start and run under load when connected in place of the pump?  

then to the inverter:  heating up?  corrosion?  tight connections? voltage sag under load?  does it sound good/right?

and then the batteries:  electrolyte levels? corrosion? right temperature? age?  interties too small, heating or corroded? Charging properly? weak cells?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 01:45:18 PM by maker of toys »

philip

Re: questions
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:30:57 PM »
I was just about to post a question regarding 12V DC domestic "jet pumps". Can any one chime in?  I am about to search the archives.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:30:57 PM by philip »

farmerfrank

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:06:16 AM »
What kind of pump is it? A piston pump,submersible? I have a 1/2 submersible and it is 240 volt. The voltage is kept high intentionaly to keep the I squared R losses down. Check the voltage...just a thought
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:06:16 AM by farmerfrank »