Author Topic: details about Dan F's solar pumping system  (Read 1870 times)

jon bondy

details about Dan F's solar pumping system
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:33 PM »
I want to implement a solar water pumping system similar to that described at

http://www.otherpower.com/danf_waterpump.html

Does anyone have details about any of the following:

What does such a system cost?

What specific products/models should be used in such a system?

Where can these products be purchased?

I want to install a solar powered water pump to pump water from a source below my pond up to the pond.  Head will be about 20 feet and horizontal distance will be about 300 feet.  Moderate flow rate (4 gallons/minute?) will do fine.  It is possible that the source will dry out at some point, so a float switch and check valve may be necessary to prevent pump damage.

Can anyone suggest a complete system to accomplish this, including pricing?

Thanks!

Jon

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:23:33 PM by (unknown) »

Gary D

Re: details about Dan F's solar pumping system
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:41:28 AM »
Not sure of the gallons per day you need, but an almost complete system ( you'd supply the cement for the tracker base and water line) can be found at the link below. I'm sure there are many options. This is only one site. It would be advisable to call them with your needs/wants.Their units use 2 80 watt panels. Dan F. doesn't need (or want) 2000 gallons a day I suspect.... Costs there are in the $2000 to $2500 range for submirsable units.... Gary D.

http://www.sunpumps.com
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:41:28 AM by Gary D »

jon bondy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 03:27:05 PM »
Excellent!  Thank you!

:)

Jon

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:27:05 PM by jon bondy »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:14:34 PM »
Welcome Jon,

I don't mean to be a nay sayer, but I will believe until shown otherwise, that system is now over priced and under efficient.  PVs went up in cost. WAY UP!

"...if the spring runs dry or the cistern is full, the controller will shut off the pump..."

Now that means PV money not being used for anything, not to charge a battery, and not to not pump water that may (or may not) be needed.

When the switch shuts the system off, there is a $700 PV doing nothing at all.

LCBs are not free.

I believe a battery system is currently a better option. Not much different really, but a small battery and a tad more PV, balanced to the water needs.

ie. A 40W PV and 12AH battery with an LVD controller.  It could potentially deliver more water per day for less money.

The 4GPM does not really mean a lot in this instance. My shower is 3gpm, but I do not use 4300 gallons per day, or 3,600,000 gallons per year.

G-

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:14:34 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Gary D

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »
G, he wanted to pump up to a pond... Livestock, or irrigation purposes most likely. As you said, solar has gone up(what hasn't). Not sure how current the pricing is. I don't think Dan F. uses that pumping system as described anymore (lightning strike). It would be prudent to call the number on the link I provided for pricing AND proper pipe sizing to maximize the flow rate he wants... if he wants... There are many other sites selling solar water pumping units also(google search?). Not sure if it was a tracker unit, or just a panel stand? Trying (poorly) to be as accurate as possible here.

Also a link to what I think Dan F. is using currently is below if it works... :-)Gary D.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/6/27/163838/149
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:04:27 AM by Gary D »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »
The PV used in the first system about trippled in price in the last 5 years.

I guess I was more thinking about the switch and the source sometimes not being able to keep up with the pump.

When the sun is shining, the water source is probably marginal. And thats when the water is needed.  So the PV is working, but no water to pump. Let it charge a battery. Then when the water source catches up, even at night, the pump can pump what water it can get.

As opposed to just pumping what is there in day light.

A 10A controller with LVD(~$60), and a 100AH battery(~$50) is cheaper than a 8A LCB(~$160).

Could pump more water per day when it is needed most.

G-

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:42:33 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller