Author Topic: solar water  (Read 1816 times)

su09

solar water
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:03:29 AM »
  I have 3 stockwater wells that each have pump jacks and are run by a gas motor that i move from well to well as the grazing season progresses.  I would like to use a solar panel set up and dc motor that i would move between locations. I know that a 1/2 hp ac motor runs the pump jacks satisfactly.  Can your readers recomend equipment that will do the job?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:03:29 AM by (unknown) »

PHinker

Re: solar water
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
   Going to need some additional information.  How long will the pump run at one time?  If you're looking at 1/2 hp (roughly 375 watts).  It will probably be prohibitively expensive to run the pump directly from solar panels, 375 watts of solar is going to run you some serious $$.  Add to that the fact that you'll only get 4 or so hours of sunlight on good days.  Even adding tracking to the solar panels will only extend that an hour or so.

So, start out by telling us how long and how often the pump is expected to run.  If you're going to be manually moving the pump from well to well, you'll probably want to go with a combination of solar panels and batteries.  At that point, is it that much more cost effective/convenient then what you're currently doing?  Maybe explain why the current system is unacceptable.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:02:03 AM by PHinker »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:41:42 AM »
Hi

It would also help to know 1) how much water you need to pump per day, and 2) how deep the wells are.

Does it have to be a pump jack, or would a submersible pump be OK?

Some info on solar water pumping:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterPumping/waterpumping.htm

Gary

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:41:42 AM by GaryGary »

walsdos

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »
Hello su09,

I have a Keln Solar water system mounted on an old cultivator frame for mobility. Used for 50 cows.

Google them for info
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:58:21 PM by walsdos »