Author Topic: Williamson ram pump  (Read 7300 times)

cdog

Williamson ram pump
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:02:43 AM »
Just like the intro mite imply that I am looking for any first hand knowledge of these types of pumps.

I would like to build a home style copy of the smallest unit they offer and am looking for ideas or any info at all.

There is an excellent 10 min video on youtube that got me interested, and would advise anyone interested to check it out.

Many thanks as always,

Cdog.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:02:43 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Williamson ram pump
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »
What is the YouTube link ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:51:57 PM by wooferhound »

cdog

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:03:25 PM by cdog »

cdog

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
Sorry, I should have posted the link the first time, just more proof that I'm good looking rather than smart,hehe!

Cdog.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:05:25 PM by cdog »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »
If you have a suitable supply of water with at least 2ft head then it is perfectly possible to build a ram pump.

Many build small ones from standard plumbing fittings but if you want to go larger then you would be far better building from scratch.

The traditional machines were all built from castings and were very durable, some well over 100 years old are still running. You can fabricate rather than use castings and ordinary mild steel will last for years but stainless would be a nice refinement.

For anything other than very low flow and low head don't try plastic for the drive pipe, it wastes energy. There are an almost an infinite number of waste valve designs using metal or rubber discs, all work perfectly well as long as you get the valve area to drive pipe area about right.

As usual nothing new, just a reawakening to an old idea that goes back to the Montgolfier brothers and largely got forgotten as town water supplies reached most areas.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:44:58 AM by Flux »

zeusmorg

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41:22 AM »
 There are plenty of designs to be found on the net of ram pumps. Your stream flow, and head would determine what the best would be for you.

There are also other ways of pumping water using the power of the stream that are more suitable for low head situations,like a waterwheel running pumps, which in a lot of situations is more efficient than a ram.

One design does not fit all situations.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:41:22 AM by zeusmorg »

cdog

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

Flux, is there a rule of thumb for sizing the waste valve to the drive pipe?

Any other quirks that I should be aware of?

Is it better to err on the larger size for a drive pipe than smaller, just thinking of the weight of the water in the pipe helping with the power available?

Thanks again,

Cdog.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:25:19 PM by cdog »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »
There are rules of thumb for flow rates and size of drive pipe for various heads.

Typically the waste valve diameter is about twice that of the drive pipe bore. This can vary a lot with type of valve.

For a given water flow there is an optimum drive pipe size but you have a fair latitude. If you have no limit to the water available then a larger than normal drive pipe would let you increase water pumped at a later stage if you wanted but don't go wide of the normal marks.

Google hydraulic ram and you will find lots of data. Try Green & carter and Blake websites and they will give ram sizes and drive pipe sizes with delivery in gallons per day.

Some will specify drive pipe lengths for a given head. These figures vary wildly and seem based on ancient myth. My own findings are that long drive pipes only slow the operation and that may suit certain types of valve. Even vertical drive pipes work ok with the correct valve. If you have to have a very long pipe to get the head it still works but anything greater than 10 times the head is better avoided.In this case it is better to bring the water horizontally ( or virtually so) in a large pipe or channel and then drop to the ram from a feed tank with a pipe slope of about 1 in 4.

Delivery valve type also has some effect on operation but is far less critical than the waste valve.If you don't keep the air in the air vessel contained within a flexible rubber tube or diaphragm then in most water areas you will need a snifting valve to keep the air vessel topped up. A few water supplies are sufficiently aerated not to need this but that is not usual. Put a wheelbarrow tube or similar in the air vessel and not mess with snifters is my advice.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:59:01 PM by Flux »

cdog

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »
Many thanks Flux, as usual your a wealth of information and it is greatly appreciated!

I have looked briefly at those sites and they are great as well.

I also may have found some "scrap" stainless goodies to build it from!

This project is a ways down the road, have a woodsplitter to finish and hunting season on the way but,when it is done I will surely post pics.

Thanks again,

Cdog.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:36:08 PM by cdog »