Author Topic: torkmaster erectionparty  (Read 1808 times)

Stonebrain

torkmaster erectionparty
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:56 PM »
with wind it's not only electricity you can generate.
For exemple you can generate a whirlpool.
By the end of september my pond wasd competely dry,it didn't rain very much this summer.
This was the moment to organise my erectionparty or never.
My tower is made of wood with iron legs to put in the water.
the shaft going down is a big bamboostick.
Here you see how it is mounted

LouisA and LouisvG are holding the rope for preventing the tower ffrom goig violently to the ground,Ffernando is driving my tractor(a leftover from a former life)and Thierry is running around

and me,JaapvG is taking the photos,that's why I'm not on the pics.
The raising went fine till the tractor couldn't get it higher.
It was time for a beer.

The beer gave new inspiration,specialy for Thierry,it was just a push and the tower got on its feet.

Well,this was a great day!
Here you see the impeller.In fact it was to wide,the torkmaster could get it through the water.Later I reduced the diam by taking away the rods that are holding the impellers.

Of course it was a long waiting till there was water in the pond again,and then ofcourse, there was nowind.

At last with 40km+ wind the proof that it works.

Wat it's good for will you ask.
As i'm a very serious person I've been thinking about a justification.

1)oxigenation

2)My theory is that it willmove mud from the center to the sides,but i have to wait next summer till it's dry again to verify this.

3)It's fun

cheers,

Stonebrain

OK i figured out a way to fix your story without spending an hour doing it so i fixed it so you don't have to repost
Kurt

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:21:56 PM by (unknown) »

CmeBREW

Re: torkmaster erectionparty
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:56:09 PM »
Good work Stonebrain.  

I missed this post because I almost never check out the 'Water' catagorie. I suppose your project is more 'Water' than 'Wind'.  

Thanks for sharing the photos- I'm glad it works. Strange looking little Vawt. Never seen one like that.  

That is certainly a strong tower.  

It is a good, simple, straightforward way to circulate the pond. I've had many people ask me about that very thing.

I don't have a pond myself, but over the summer a fellow who saw my small Vawt and Hawt mills blowing in the wind stopped by to talk and ask about exactly what you are doing. He wondered if he couldn't go 'electric' then power a small sump pump in the pond.  I told him to do it simple and the direct mechanical way but he was reluctant to do it that way.  He said those metal Hawt (non-electric) pond circulators cost about $900 !

I told him I would help him design a simple one.  

But for a simple pond circulator-- your Vawt idea looks the easiest to build for that purpose. I will show him this post when he comes back.

I certainly agree with you though, electric production does not have to be the only thing to be accomplished with wind mills!

You are by-passing a lot of non-sense.  

My dad wants me to make little Vawt (mechanical) 'noise makers' on a pole to keep the giant moles out of the garden and yard.    

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:56:09 PM by CmeBREW »