Author Topic: How to convert solar hot air panels to solar water?  (Read 2387 times)

newbepa

How to convert solar hot air panels to solar water?
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »
I have six solar air panels on my house the system was not in working order.  I think it would be more benifical has a solar water system since i heat with wood.  I would like to now the best way to do this.  we have cold winters below 20F.  which then i would like to have the water heated by the wood stove.  The solar panels would need to be drain back.  I don,t want to put in a new water heater.  One thing is if i put in a storage tank and a heat transfer unit wouldn,t the water in the storage tank be heated by the panels. ok now the origanl hot water would still be heated be the element Would i have to use all the hot water that tank before i would get any of the water from the solar panels?  Now would i be able to use the solar panels with out a trans tank? By using the presure valve and the drain? will this shorten the life of my water heater?  I have so many ? . With is better in the panels copper or pex?  Could i use PEX for the travel lines form panels and tank with out to much heat loss?  In the summer the panels get very hot the foil on the poly insulation ive removed is burnedand even distorted.  Could i use my swimming pool as a disapator? some sort of heat transfer that would only let water that direction once the water heater has reached a set temp.  So the heat does build up in the panels.  

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:40:57 PM by (unknown) »

jonas302

air panels to solar water?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »
YOu should check www.builtitsolar.com   Gary comes on here to

there was a direct comparison of pex and copper in the panel you can read up on
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:11:38 PM by jonas302 »

newbepa

Re: air panels to solar water?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
thanks i studty that web site it was help.  I would like to ask gary a few things buit it wont let me do that from the link there.  Would i need too put the fin on since the pipes wont be directly in the sun. is it possible it would be heated be convection?  I dont have the space for a large transfer tank what is the most efficent small set ican make ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:06:09 PM by newbepa »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
Re: air panels to solar water?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
Hi Brian,

You can email me at gary@BuildItSolar.com  -- not sure I can help, but happy to try.

Gary

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:03:53 PM by GaryGary »