Author Topic: Pumping dirty water  (Read 4550 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Pumping dirty water
« on: April 29, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
I spent over an hour at HF in Pembroke Pines on Monday looking over their selection of solar/12v water pumps.

The canal out back is fresh enough to use for irrigation (lawn and fruit trees/veggies), but it's, well, kind of slimey at times. We have only had one decent rain all year, and the urban runoff and stagnant water grows a lot of algae and weeds.

The 1 1/2 HP 240v pump I normally use is over 25 years old. If it broke, or we lost power for weeks from a hurricane it would be nice to have a backup besides a bucket on a rope. I have lime, lemon, orange, star fruit, banana, plantain, tomatoes, collards, bell peppers, mango, Barbados cherry, loquat, coconut, macadamia and avocado.

A hydraulic ram won't work, and there is no flow except when it rains hard enough to require opening the flood control.

I have a 5 watt panel to spare and a lawn and garden battery that isn't being used.

HF sells a Pacific Hydrostar bilge pump that uses 1.8 amps and lifts over 10 feet in my test. They claim 13 feet max, but that probably requires clean water and a strong battery. The floating pond pumps only lift a foot or two. That's not quite enough.

The bilge pump doesn't put out a lot of pressure, but it fills a bucket quick enough to not run the battery down.

The green lizard was caught a couple of weeks ago. I suprised her sunning in the back yard and she ran right into the trap. I let a possum go today. He looked ragged after being in the cage all day. I gave the lizard to a neighbor from Trinidad to curry. They call them 'chicken of the tree'. I hope I'm never hungry enough to have to eat possum, though.

I mean animals no harm, except the big lizards. They ate and killed my mulberry tree (leaves, fruit and blossums), and a neighbor's lychee tree. That's just disrespect.

She's small, too, only about 3 feet, including the tail. Her big brothers out here get over 5 feet. The little brown one lives indoors with me and keeps the bugs out of my seedlings.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:14:15 AM by (unknown) »

seyffer

Re: Pumping dirty water
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
sounds like a Old Fashioned Pitcher Pump would work good for that most have about 20-25ft straight up lift no telling how far it would lift at a slight angle (saw your photos) and they will pull dirty water and slim also.. or take some stainless steel screen and make a ball (8-10" would work nicely) out of it put the hose in the ball and clamp it.. wire a jug to the hose keeping it just under the slim and out of the mud if your going to go the small solar pump route..  on the farm we had a very step drop to the creek where several cows would get down there and couldn't get back up.. we fenced it off so they couldn't do that again.. i used two solar pumps (got them with a panel cheap at a surplus store with a small gel batt and a timer) to get the water to the top.. one pumped the water from the creek about 7ft into a bucket while the other pumped it from the bucket about 12ft away to the larger 150gal barrel we used to water them.. worked nicely cost us about 100$.. much less cost than a broken leg

Stay Green  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM by seyffer »

sbotsford

Re: Pumping dirty water
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
If you are normally pumping with a 1.5 HP electric pump from the canal, I don't think that any reasonable PV setup will help after a hurricane.

I'd suggest investing in a small trash pump -- the kind used to pump out construction pits.  Most will run 20-30 psi, so they are good for a 40 foot head.

I'd also suggest putting a tank on stilts by the house, filling it when you have water, so you will have a few days of potable water during emergencies.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:34:30 AM by sbotsford »