Author Topic: NORTHEAST WIND ENERGY TILT UP TOWERS  (Read 2534 times)

Ed Litwiller

NORTHEAST WIND ENERGY TILT UP TOWERS
« on: October 11, 2005, 03:08:00 AM »
TILT UP TOWERS: Hello all, Does anyone know any structural details regarding the Northeast Wind Energy round pipe tilt up towers. All I've been able to find out so far is that these hydraulically tilted 80 foot towers have a 5 blade 3.5 KW wind turbine mounted on top of them. Has anyone seen one of these units that may be located in Conn. U.S.A.??? I have seen their website and was impressed with the unit. Does anyone know where I can get a set of plans for the tilt up round tube towers???? Thanks in advance, Ed
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 03:08:00 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: NORTHEAST WIND ENERGY TILT UP TOWERS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 11:59:46 PM »
Ed you will be hard pressed to find plans, there are just too many variables, Bergy's site give some detail on one.

Tower design is serious business at 80' with large rotors, many factors come into play, not the least is the anchors V ground type.

Anchor point distance from tower is very critical, guy wire spacing very much so.

I now have 3 tilt up tube towers, one commercial and two home built. Some conciderable amount of learning has gone into these two, especially the 80' which we put a 3.6m rotor on top of. I don't think we will be publishing details of that fiasco.

There are very good reasons why most commercial towers are more costly than the turbine.

I guess this does not help much but do it once and do it right, more detail is needed to offer any of my experience( ground type, rotor diamiter etc).

allan down under  

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:59:46 PM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

IntegEner

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:33:44 AM »
Begging everyone's pardon but it appears that Mr. allan has not seen the Northeast Wind Energy (www.northeastwindenergy.com/index.html) Tilt Up Towers to which reference was made. These very special towers are not guyed but are set on cantilevering bases and over balanced with a large counterweight. A recent visit to the website discovered a second unit of the same construction nearby the first. Nothing like this is to be seen anywhere else. It is wind engineering of the highest order, costs taking a lower priority. If e-mail requests for information are not answered, then not much else can be said. Those on this discussion list who want to get into wind energy should be apprised that all the rules and regulations concerning safety and good practice hold without exception here as well.

Anthony Chessick

IntegEner-W

Tehachapi, CA

www.integener.com

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 07:33:44 AM by IntegEner »

Ed Litwiller

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 03:17:20 PM »
Hi guys, If you try to contact Northeast Wind Energy about obtaining information or to purchase a set of plans for the tilt up tower systems, you will be answered with a blunt NO to both questions. Northeast won't even offer to sell you a tower. The communication in the email response from them was not the greatest. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:17:20 PM by Ed Litwiller »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 05:02:36 PM »
From a manufacturer's point of view...

It's not the best idea spending big money to develope something with a limited market, then sell sell the plans for $10.

Maybe they spent $50,000 or $100,000 on designing the tower

maybe because it saved thet much on liability insurance

maybe because of the total cost of the whole 'unit'

maybe some combination

or something else entirley.

But the money was spent to sell windmill systems.

GM is not going to send you even a shop manual, let alone the design specs,

for a 2010 Chevy.  

And yes, I bet GM all ready has both.

Just saying they spent a lot to get it.

Not suprised they want to keep it.

G-

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:02:36 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:54:04 AM »
Firstly let me say that unlike others I have no commercial interests in Renewable energy.

If one looks at the mentioned tower, one could be forgiven to assume that the top section is at least 6" if not 8" in diamiter. I will leave it too others to work out the base diamiter. Have you checked out the price of steel latley??????. Let alone the footing for such a tower. Let me guess a commercial tower like this is worth say 12K US????? and thats without footings.

IMHO this is way outside the meaning of this site, but then it is possible that, I personally have outgrowen this site. Now where is that brick wall!!!!!

allan down under

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 02:54:04 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.