Author Topic: Newbie: Need help with stepper motors pulled from printer  (Read 1102 times)

bossxero

Newbie: Need help with stepper motors pulled from printer
« on: December 04, 2005, 08:06:28 PM »

Editors Note:

Duplicated in a Diary so hid this one to avoid cross posting confusion and in the interest of brevity.

Editor

Hi all Folks.

I send my great appreciation to all the members and gurus of this fantastic board.  After weeks and weeks of reading about epower stuffs, i finally decided to get my hands dirty.  I made my mind to make a small windmill since I am currently on holidays. As I had two old Lexmark Z11 printers(under the bed), I dissassembled them and took off the motors from them in order to use them as generators.  In all I got four stepper motors but there were no voltage or anything printed on them except 7.5ohms-7.5step, 8ohms,61ohms respectively and nothing meaningful on the fourth.  

My first problem that am currently facing is the I cant figure the positive and negative terminal of the motors.  3 of them has four wires and the fourth one has 5 wires.  Its a real mess in my mind,I try to run them with a battery but it wont turn, so my question is, HOW DO I FIGURE OUT THE WIRES THAT I SHOULD USE AMONG ALL THESE?  

Am stressing again, am a newbie in this matter, so please, am expecting a lot from you guys. And I know that i wont be disappointed and awaiting for your troubleshooting guide.

Thnx

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 08:06:28 PM by (unknown) »