Author Topic: Rotor Start-up Power Assist for low speed wind start up  (Read 815 times)

Usman

Rotor Start-up Power Assist for low speed wind start up
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »
What I mean here is to spin the rotor at a specified rpm using a motor or motor circuit at a specific wind speed to initiate power generation operation.

We all have experienced that when a turbine is standstill, it would need a gust or a stronger wind than rated to start up spinning. In physics, this is to overcome 'limiting friction' within the drive train mechanism of the turbine.

Secondly, a passive vane turbine would need such a stronger blow of wind to get the rotor into wind direction. In downwind type turbines, that is even more effective since downwind turbines do need a stronger blow of wind to align in the wind direction.

---I have attempted to built a start-up assist feature in the 5KW genny that I am working, a small 150watt PM DC gear motor linked by a timing belt to the main shaft that is triggered by a wind speed sensor at 2 m/s to spin the rotor up to 30 rpm or 20% of the rated 150 rpm for 5 seconds.---

I wanted to learn from the community if that feature may interfere or conflict with the battery charging methodology i.e. if the triggering rpm are increased from 30 rpm to 70 rpm, as that would be more effective, is there any chance of the tinny DC motor getting overloaded since the genny may cut in 'charging' at 50 rpm or 40 rpm (I have no rpm ratings on that)...what may happen? Would the rotor get a jerk when the charging-rpm are reached (due to not enough wind to overtake load factor or torque angle) and stop spinning completely or would the dc motor strive and get damaged?

Please indicate your presumptions on that scenario.

Thanks.

This guy seems to be developing a commercial product and should hire a consultant.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:13:35 PM by (unknown) »