Author Topic: Expensive rewind  (Read 1550 times)

Seedler

Expensive rewind
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
Hi,

I've only now got a quote for a rewind of my 3kw Chinese made turbine.  It came in at £750, apparently because its a difficult rewind.  I'm thinking I could get a new alternator for this price.

Now for my question.  I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in the UK or Europe that sells cheap 3kw turbines, or even second hand ones?  I only need the alternator, dont need blades.  my turbine is the tail version.

Thanks for everyones help.

Dee.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:35:38 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Expensive rewind
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »
Probably 2/3 of that is labour cost. It's just not remotely possible to compete with the Chinese labour cost.  It was most likely hand wound and too tight and awkward for a repair company used to dealing with machine wound motors.

Can't help with your question about scrounging bits. You will probably end up in trouble again with wrong voltages and all sorts of problems.

You might try looking at the cost of an alternator from Ginlong or similar.

If you have enough patience you could probably wind it yourself for the cost of the material but you may struggle with materials in small quantity, it's got nearly impossible to get things now that manufacture has transferred to China. We are in a throw away society.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:01:31 AM by Flux »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »
Hi Dee

Is there any possible way you can post pic of the stator or is it still flying?

Mark

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:11:22 AM by vawtman »

David HK

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »
What is the make model number, serial number etc of your machine?

I live in Hong Kong and its likely that your machine was made 'over the border' from Hong Kong in the Shenzhen Economic Zone.

I would be happy to to do a bit of tracing to ascertain where your machine was made and determine if anything can be done to help you. My efforts may be fruitless, but it seems a shame to throw away a machine that may have been poorly built.

Flux is mostly right in his generality.

David HK

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:02:11 AM by David HK »

Tach

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
Dee,

I've been trying to find a good rewind shop for a long time. There are some companies that will do them. It depends on how complicated the rewind is, and how bad they need the work! Most of the time they will turn you down unless you have 1000 of them to rewind. I would recommend going to.. http://www.globalspec.com/.. or ..http://www.tradekey.com/.. and search "stator rewinding". There are a lot of companies you can contact. It's a pain, but you may get lucky. BTW- the Ginlong genny that Flux mentioned is an excellent unit. We have tested two of their models. The company is very helpful and responsive to your questions. Be real sure what genny you want (low or high voltage) because loading the high voltage models without the Ginlong grid tie inverter is a problem. Rewinding a stator is really not that big of a deal if you have the time and patience. The old timers who rewound motors and stators are gone, but I think in the years to come, the rewind services will make a big comeback.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:10:51 PM by Tach »

Seedler

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
Hi,

Thanks guys.  Vatman - Sorry but I cant get you a picture as the turbine is still in the rewind shop at the minute.

David HK - I would really appreciate anything you could find out about the turbine or know how I could contact the manufacturers.  This is what I know about the turbine:

The company I got it from was 'HUAMIN WINDPOWER INC' although I cant seem to find their site any more.  I think they were a part of 'SRM Wind Power Co' because the SRM logo was on the site.  I also think they were part of 'Hailite Windpower Co' because I remember seeing their name on documents.  I also remember seeing the name 'Exmok'.  I cant remember there being a model number, but It was 3kw and it had a tail.  I've added a picture below of the parts. Dont have one of it flying.

The guy who I delt with was called 'James Ye'

Money for the turbine was sent to the 'Shanghai People Enterprise Group Yueqing Imp & Exp Co. Ltd.'

I appreciate your help.

Dee.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:04:32 AM by Seedler »

Seedler

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:07:05 AM »
Picture is in my files.  Cant get it to display on the page.

Dee.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 05:07:05 AM by Seedler »

Seedler

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:30:25 AM »
I found a company called masterpower.co.th they are part of the Shanghai People Enterprise Group, I'm guessing these are all the same people.

The link below shows the turbine I have and the model number they give it.  The picture is actually of my turbine.  I sent it to James Ye last year.

http://www.masterpower.co.th/PriceList/HM4.5-3000.pdf

Dee.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:30:25 AM by Seedler »

David HK

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
The company is still active, but some distance from Hong Kong.

The best thing is to contact them direct and ascertain if they can (or are willing) to help solve your problem.

The contact web site is as follows:-

http://www.29077.tradebig.com/

David HK

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:27:37 PM by David HK »

Seedler

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
Thanks David, I'll see if I can get through to them.

Dee.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:22:26 AM by Seedler »

Todd a

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
Likely the generator has a 3 phase set-up, so you might check to see if only one phase failed.  Maybe with luck you can find the coil that failed and just jump it if you can not rewind it without ripping everything apart.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 09:33:02 AM by Todd a »