Author Topic: 15' Savonius  (Read 931 times)

Savonius Man

15' Savonius
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Hi all,

I posted a picture of my 15' savonius in a previous thread (Generator Problem, too many coils) but it was way too big and got removed.  Now that my generator problems are solved, I thought I would repost with the image cropped on a new thread.

This device was built in 3 hours using two telephone poles, 2x6 lumber, and 4 sheets of roofing tin, 2 sheets per rotor.  The rotors are 7 feet tall and the affective width of the rotors is 5 feet.  The top horizontal spar is 15 feet off of the ground.   It lasted several months before the sheet metal tore off of the rotor frame, then I rebuilt the rotor with 4 scoops and used a lot of liquid nails.  It has been turning for the past 8 months now with no problem. This device has pushed 1kW at 25 mph Winds.

I don't think Savonius designs are as ineffective as everyone seems to say.  A major benefit is that they can be built quickly, and cost next to nothing.  That said, even though they are less efficient, you just put another 10 dollars into your investment and make the whole thing 20% taller.

The generator can be mounted at the base for ease of maintenance, and it never moves, so you don't have to worry about untangling you cords.  It performs very well in high winds, and is self governing.  No welding required.

Still just a spinner not an alternator. Not worth my time to fix his fubar photo names.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:54:17 PM by (unknown) »

Savonius Man

Re: 15' Savonius
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:56:09 AM by Savonius Man »