Author Topic: Update on 1KW WindMax  (Read 1060 times)

soyer38301

Update on 1KW WindMax
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
I have been up and flying now for 2 full weeks. Last weeked was bad as there was little or no wind. But today the local airport is reporting 16-20 knot winds (18-24 mph) so I was hoping to see some big production.

This unit (according to the specs) is rated 1KW at a 20 MPH wind. Today I am lucky to get 6 amps out of it....varies between 2 and 6 amps - no where near what it is supposed to be. I should be in the 15-20 amp range.

When first received there was some shipping damage to the controller and I made sure that I notified the magnet4less folks. I had to straighten one side of the controller and the bottom plate slightly. I am wondering if there is not more damage than just cosmetic.

I tried an experiment and unplugged the generator from my cable and off it went -- so there seems to be too much load on the generator. When I plugged it back in it almost sounded like you plugged the pigtail brake in instead.

I am going to contact them on Monday to see what can be done (they do state a 1 year warranty and there was shipping damage). In the mean time I am going to look at building a controller instead. Any suggestions on the controller front? I am going to start looking at the board but a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Scott Oyer

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:01:23 PM by (unknown) »