Author Topic: Plymouth Mass company builds of "sub-megawatt class" turbines  (Read 897 times)

GeeWiz

I found this of interest while surfing today;

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/articles/2009/05/07/firm_gains_foothold_in_wind_power/

In short; Aeronautica officials said the firm is positioned to become the first US manufacturer of "sub-megawatt class" turbines, which it defines as those that generate more than 100 but less than 1,000 kilowatts, or 1 megawatt, of power. Their quote "We haven't found any yet, and we've been looking," company president Matthew Glynn said of existing makers of mid-size turbines in the United States.

I think there are a few of us that would like to build some larger turbines and I wonder just how effort it would take to product a 100 kilowatts.

It sure would be fun building 30' blades.  I once meet this guy from china who was in BC (Canada) to purchase OLD GROWTH timbers for making large blades for the Chinese market.

So if 24 magnets can produce 1 KW, does that mean 240 magnets should produce 100KW. My thoughts would be around multiple plates with groups of magnets, each plate being additive (output increases, add plate which creates drag).

Happy reading

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:52:23 PM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
too big for homebrew?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
the problem is not in building a large alternator, or even carving large blades, but

most folks have no clue as to the issues surrounding the safe mounting, tower, control and other issues,, let alone what do you do with large amounts of power.

certainly have to have a team of engineers along with their stamp on just about every item, bonded construction teams, certified welders, certified fasteners,

certified wood or whatever for the blades, insurance to erect, and insurance in operation, a good legal team, blah blah blah. before too long it stops being fun

and becomes a real job, a real business.  and once built and put into operation your

on the hook for whatever it hurts/mames/kills from cradle to grave,, the insurance company will pay for losses but will come after the manufacture to recover its losses.

then to use the kind of power possible would require grid tie, and that will become a very expensive problem as well.

just seems like there is much more to be done in the kwatt class before moving up to the C/kwatt class.

mppt for wind being one area that needs development and widespread application, along with cambered blades, both of which would likely be needed for the larger versions anyway.

20 footers are as large as i would wanna be around, and quite frankly even those are too big for 95% of folks in my opinion.

just my opinions others likely will vary

bob g

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:02:43 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: too big for homebrew?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
what happened to the original post?

bob g

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:23:47 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member